Monday, October 18, 2010

Does Sam's Club really save $?

My hubby and I have this never ending debate on whether Sam's Club saves our family money.  To give you some background, it is him, me and our 1 year old daughter.  I'm not against buying in bulk.  I routinely buy in bulk from toilet paper to canned soup to all of our meat.  Regarding our meat, we even buy a quarter beef, half a pig, and our chickens by the case.  I recognize that buying in bulk if you have the storage space can save one money. 

The problem that I have with Sam's Club is that it encourages people to buy items that they don't need and may or may not use.  For example, my hubby likes to buy spices there.  He once bought a jumbo container of grilling spice.  Sure, we're still using it but we really didn't need it and I could've made do without it. 

When we did have a Sam's Club membership, we went about once every month or two.  We would on average spend around $100 each time.  We haven't went to Sam's for over a year and we spend much less on groceries now, around $100 less per month.  Also, Sam's doesn't take coupons and while they have everyday good prices, they don't really have sales.

However, Sam's Club has samples.  On a busy day, they will usually have a sample at least every 10 feet.  The samples are good, creative, and a great way to lure people to buy their tasty product.  I think that the samples are the real reason that my hubby loves that store. 

How about you?  Do you like warehouse stores?  Do you think they are worth the money?

1 comment:

  1. I have a membership to BJ's and LOVE it. Just today, I ran in and got two gallons of milk for $2.39 each (They are $3.50 a gallon in the supermarket) two loaves of potato bread for $3.30 ($6.00 in the supermarket) and a creamer. As long as I know what I want to buy, and not get sidetracked, it is worth it. I got out of BJ's for $10.21 (well, that's a miracle in and of itself). The membership fee is $35.00 a year, and I think well worth it.

    ReplyDelete