Thursday, December 30, 2010

Cashing in Vacation

My husband started his new job on December 20th.  He was with his previous employer for 4+ years.  He had 86 hours of vacation time owed to him.  He called the person in HR to verify the amount of vacation he had before he put in his notice.  He called earlier this week to inquire on getting paid the vacation pay that was due him.  The head lady in HR told him that they would pay him but not until after the first of the year.  He is also owed some money for reimbursements for working out of town.  I'm not sure the amount that he is owed because it was impossible to keep track with that employer.  He would randomly get a check but it never had an itemization on what days it was reimbursement for.  He had to turn in his receipts so I don't even have any documentation if they try to screw us which I fully anticipate they will.  It doesn't make any sense to me that they would have to wait until after the first of the year to pay him for his vacation time.  He had already earned the time when he quit December 17th.

I hope we get that money because things are tight for us right now because he won't get a paycheck until January 15th from his new job.  The whole situation seems fishy to me.  The positive thing is that he is no longer employed there.  We won't have to deal with this again. 

Has anybody else had any luck with collecting money from vacation earned after you leave the company?  Any tips?

3 comments:

  1. It's hard to say specifically what's going on but my guess would be a bit of a combination of a few things. If he quit in the middle of a pay period then it could take a bit longer to get this organized - it also depends on how much notice he gave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good luck with that... that is tough. I really hope they don't try to pull a fast one on you.

    Happy 2011 & I am so happy for dh that he got a new position! :) Hopefully the new employer is better organized!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have 269 hours saved up! I can't wait to find a new job.. that will be a sweet severance package just for me :)

    ReplyDelete