Friday, December 3, 2010

Quitting Walmart!

Last week we spent like crazy at Walmart to the tune of over $400.  I talked it over with my husband and we both decided that we would steer clear of Walmart and get our groceries at a regular grocery store.  Often Walmart does have very good prices on groceries but we end up buying so many other things there that we may or may not need.  We did buy a few turkeys at rock bottom prices of 50 cents per pound and we needed to stock up on a few things but I feel that we wouldn't have spent as much at a regular grocery store.  This past Wednesday, my husband went to the grocery store and only got what was on my shopping list.  He's much better about following a list than me.  He will often not have one extra item from not on the list.  I always get what is on my shopping list plus a bunch of other items.

Has anybody else stayed away from Walmart because you spend too much there?

5 comments:

  1. I try to stay away from Walmart as much as possible. Since I started CVS/Wags shopping, I have found that I can beat the Walmart prices easily. And, its MUCH better for my sanity!! CVS and Walmart have the same number of check lanes open (usually 2, LOL), but of course I can get in & out of CVS in about 15 minutes with an entire cart full. That NEVER happens at walmart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't stand Wal Mart so it's easy for me to avoid. For me, that temptation was Sam's Club...or warehouse stores in general. We always spend hundreds there, so we didn't renew our membership seversl years ago. The savings weren't worth all the additional money we spent on needless things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a big Walmart shopper, though I do shop there occasionally. I often find I save more money by using coupons that are doubled at other stores. One of my biggest issues at Walmart is the lack of open checkout lanes. Why did they put so many in when they never use them?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha,I just read this post to my husband, and we both chuckled. We spent $300 at Walmart today, and we do not even have a superwalmart. We have an expanded walmart so it has some grocerery items. EVERYTIME I go there, I overspend. So, I am following your lead & NOT going there. Its best that way. I save money in the long run by going to a regular grocery store. Thanks for this timely post. By the way, we heat w/propane and it costs almost $3.00 gallon here(Alaska). When we lived in NJ, it wasnt much cheaper. How in the world do you get it for under $2 per gallon? Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete