Friday, January 7, 2011

New Pay Schedule

Hubby and I are trying to get used to his new pay schedule.  I'm paid every two weeks.  We use my checks to pay the regular bills and investing.  The items that are usually paid out of my check are the mortgage, car payment, car insurance, life insurance, IRA's, student loan payment and most of the utilities.  My husband was paid weekly and we used his checks for daycare, escrow account, gas, groceries, and other miscellaneous spending. 

Hubby is now paid twice per month so we're trying to adjust.  He has been at his job since 12/20 and he will get his first paycheck on 1/15.  There is a two week lag in his pay.  That's a long time to wait for a paycheck.  He was paid from his previous employer for his vacation time but I used that money to pay off our credit card. 

We've really cut down on miscellaneous spending but of course we still have daycare and gas.  I was paid on 12/23 and I stocked up on groceries at that time so we are only buying milk, eggs and produce. 

It's hard to get used to a different pay schedule.  Any suggestions?

3 comments:

  1. It's typically to have a payroll cut off two weeks behind, this allows the proper time to administer payroll.

    It's a challenge to get used to a big change like that, but I would suggest getting out the excel spreadsheet and sorting out when bills come out and when the money goes in.

    You might have to make a few small adjustments but weekly to twice monthly doesn't seem insurmountable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My wife gets paid every other week and up until 2 months ago I was getting paid every week. With a new union contract it was changed to every other week also. It was been an adjustment for me also. I am still trying to work out all the bugs. We use my wife's check to pay the big stuff and my check was used to pay the everydays things. Now, I have to budget my check a little better to get into the next week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is such a bummer - but just think long term on how much happier it will be in the new job!!!! Stay positive, you will figure out a schedule that works for you

    ReplyDelete