Sunday, February 20, 2011

Taxes and Blown Budget

Yesterday Y and I stopped by our accountant's office and signed our taxes.  We saw the final numbers and we are getting $1457 total back from federal and state.  It's much less than the $4000 that we got back last year but we flexed our daycare instead of claiming the standard deduction.  I also paid $1800 less in federal taxes this year.  It's really hard because I am a W-2 employee but I have a ton of deductions so I usually shut my taxes off for a few months of the year.  In 2010, I shut my taxes off the middle of July and turned them on in the beginning of November.  One of my goals this year is to keep my taxes on the entire year.  Yeah, I know, kind of an atypical goal.

Y and I totally blew our budget on Saturday because we had a date night.  We had not been out together on a date since last April.  10 months is way too long to go without a date.  His parents watched our daughter and we went to the movies and went out to dinner.  Because of that date, we won't be within our limited spending for February but I'm okay with that.  It felt really good to see a movie and have a grown up dinner.  Y and I definitely need to make a point to have actual dates more often. 

4 comments:

  1. Glad you had a good date :)

    For the taxes, why not set up an automatic savings draft instead of paying more in taxes? That way you can get more back throughout the year instead of waiting until you have filed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The reason that I don't set up an automatic draft is because I have no idea how much I will actually owe. I have a lot of expenses and other deductions so it can vary quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad that you got your date night! That stuff is important!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have definitely chosen date night too...kind of reminds me to make one with my husband now...

    ReplyDelete