Friday, March 18, 2011

Expensive Weekend Coming Up

Y is buying a $1500 tractor this weekend and it will cost him $400 to go get it.  He's talked about a tractor for a long time and we need one for snow removal.  We will also be able to use it to plow up a space for our garden. 

He's getting the tractor from his buddy's uncle.  It books at about $6000 but it needs a little bit of work which he'll be able to do himself.  They are selling it to him for $1500 because he knows them from hunting and they are just really nice?  The guy told him that it needs some work, possible a new power steering hose.  He also told Y that at the price he is paying, Y can pay to move it to our house, fix it, and still make a profit if he decides to sell it.  That's really nice but a little weird to me.  I guess that the money isn't a huge concern for this guy.  Either way, we really appreciate it.

We paid about $600 this year for snow removal and this will stop the need for hiring it out.  With the cost of repairs, it will take 4-5 years to even out but in the long run its worth it.  It also helps that Y and his friends can pretty much fix anything.

Y is borrowing our neighbor's truck and trailer to move it.  He said that he was going to take $400 for moving it.  The portion that isn't used for fuel will go to our neighbor for the use of his truck.

I hope we're making a good decision on this tractor.  It sounds like it to me but I readily admit that I've been talked into other things that sounded  like good deals at the time by Y. 

Happy Weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with moving the tractor, that sounds like a fantastic deal on it. I want a tractor, but unfortunately I Have about 20 sqft of backyard that I get to myself, so I cant justify the expense. Enjoy yours, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does sound like a good deal. It's great that your husband will be able to work on it himself. It will save you a lot on snow removal and working up a garden.

    ReplyDelete