Friday, March 11, 2011

Grocery Money

I spend on average about $400 to $450 per month on groceries.  I also buy most of my meat in bulk so that's actually not included in that figure.  I split a pig with my best friend and that usually costs around $130 for the meat and cutting/processing.  I have also gotten a quarter of a beef from my parents and will buy a quarter in the future from some farmer (I don't have any contact with my folks anymore).  I buy my chickens by the case from some Mennonite farmers because I want organic chickens.  Lately, we have ran out of most of our meat, so we have been buying it in the store.  (I want to use up the last bit of our beef before we buy another quarter.)

I think that that number is really high and I just can't seem to get it down to around $300 like many PF bloggers.  I can do a month of about $350 but after that month is up, I find myself spending more the next month to replenish things like flour, sugar, dressings, etc.  I can cut it back but not to an actual sustainable level.

I called my sister this week to ask her how much she spends.  She said that for a family of four, they typically spend around $600 to $800 per month.  She said the same thing that I've thought.  She said that she can do a week or two for $100 to $150 but after that, she has to do an actual stock up of her pantry.  She clips coupons and buy most store brands. 

Is it realistic for a family of 3 to survive on $350 to $400 monthly for groceries?  How much do you spend?

4 comments:

  1. I think it's definitely possible for a family of 3 to live on $350-400/month for groceries. Cook as much as you can from scratch. We're a family of 6 and i've dropped our grocery budget to $150/week. And sometimes we have $$ left from that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never commented on your blog before, but I spend 250-300 less than that on two people and could easily do it for less. I coupon and shop only loss leaders, I cook everything from scratch and I dont waste. we eat very well, including lamb, beer, soda, fresh foods and meat and seafood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well at any given time we have anywhere from 4-6 people. Usually I have two weeks of about 150.00 and two weeks of 250.00. But we eat almost all of our meals at home, and take our lunches. Some months are better than others

    judy

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is doable :) We are a family of three (two kids and myself). I cook things from scratch and stretch things out. We don't spend anywhere close to $350 a month.

    ReplyDelete