Wednesday, March 30, 2011

I Love Grocery Shopping

I had a post a while back about how much I spend on groceries.  I was told in my comments that it is very possible to eat well on $250 to $300 a month for a family of 3.  I know that I overspend in this area.  I usually spend around $400 to $450.  I spend more because I love going grocery shopping.  I like looking at the produce, checking out the meat, buying ingredients to make delicious meals, and getting a good deal.  Unfortunately, I like the first three the best and getting a good deal is nice but not really why I go grocery shopping.

I admit that I rarely actually stick to a shopping list.  I will make a shopping list but I'm more the type who will have a few meals planned in my head and get the stuff to make those meals.  I will also throw other things into the cart without much or any hesitation.  I do try to steer clear of the frozen foods and munchies aisles. 

I know that proper planning and going to a few grocery stores would greatly reduce my grocery bill but for some reason I'm really not willing to do that.  If I didn't work full time, I would be much more apt to do that but I do work full time.  I know, what an excuse!  Yes, it is.  I could also buy the Sunday paper and clip coupons and spend time sorting which ones I will use and which ones coordinate with this week's sales.  My preferred method is to check out a local blog and note the deals that I want to use and print the online coupons from the link.  Much lazier and much easier. 

Is there anybody else who knowingly doesn't save as much as they could at the grocery store through laziness or just because they want the stuff thats not on sale? 

7 comments:

  1. I feel like we are all guilty of shopping spree when it comes to grocery shopping...but I agree with you it's definitely an involved process to look for coupons and knowing there the best prices are offered. I was just reviewing my checking account with Aurora Bankand I noticed that I spend a lot on small purchases throughout the week, so sticking to a budget and list should be my way to go. Thanks for sharing and letting me know that I am not alone ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Working full time is def. not an excuse at all well I use it so hopefully it's not an excuse or at least a really good relevant one haha. I'm a sucker at the grocery game I always lose. Esp. when I allow hubby or kids to come then we will def. blow our budget by at least a few hundred a month easily. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jess and Counting, thanks for commenting. It's nice to know that I'm not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree! I look for deals once I'm at the store, but I don't use ads and plan ahead for which stores have the best deals. Frankly, I don't know if I'd save enough to make it worth my while? But it might be, and that's my lazy excuse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hehe yes I do this too. Or worse, sometimes I will buy things BECAUSE they are on sale and then not even get around to using them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My thing is, if you find joy in grocery shopping and it's one of your few splurges go ahead and enjoy it. Just cut back somewhere else if need be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. AHH! I really enjoy grocery shopping too, I think the I really make up for our lack of spending in other areas with my grocery shopping. Our grocery spending is atrocious.

    ReplyDelete