Saturday, May 21, 2011

I Regift Shamelessly

I have absolutely no qualms about regifting.  In fact, I think that its the socially responsible thing to do.  I put thought into it and I would never regift something to the same person who gave it to me.  I only regift something if it would be something that I would buy that person anyway.

An example of this is a pair of earrings that I got from my mother-in-law.  I know that she bought them at a jewelry party because she had/wanted to buy something.  They were fake little diamond stud earrings.  They looked very nice and probably cost around $30 or $40.  I thanked her for them and put them away with regifting them in mind.  The reason that I didn't want them is because I have an almost identical pair of real diamond studs that Y gave to me a number of years ago and I still wear pretty regularly. 

I held onto them for over a year when the perfect regift opportunity came up.  I was staying with my friend's parents in their camper and I wanted to get a small hostess gift for her mom.  I knew that she would like the earrings and she also doesn't know my mother-in-law.  I gave them to her and she was delighted. 

I think that it is more socially responsible to regift a nice item than to leave it in one's closet until who knows when and throwing/donating it.  I never regift to somebody who knows the original giver.  I only regift new and appropriate gifts. 

What are your thoughts on regifting?

7 comments:

  1. I am not sure I have ever regifted anything, but I am not against it. I very much don't like having things I don't use, so this is a good option.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problems what so ever. Not much different than if you decided to sell it. No point keeping stuff you are not going to use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a big regifter, too. My in-laws like to give us "stuff" that we really can't use/appreciate. I don't hesitate to pass things along to someone who I know will appreciate it more.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you. Totally agree. I would not be offended to be given a regifted item either. Why have a perfectly good item that someone else would love sitting around my closet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have no problem with regifting as well. If I receive something that I absolutely can not regift I will try to sell it or donate it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I regift, though I do feel a little bad about it. But this week I did a regift and the recipient loved it, so that was validating!

    ReplyDelete