Monday, May 16, 2011

Renting Out our Pasture

When we bought our place, there was an old horse there.  The owners come to feed the horse every other day or so.  I like looking outside and seeing the horse.  However, we have these people showing up all the time unannounced which is highly annoying.  Remember that we chose to live in the country where our nearest neighbor is a half mile away.  We can walk around our house in our underwear with the blinds open because nobody can see in (and we do sometimes).  The horse owners talked to Y when we moved in and he said they could keep their horse there for the time being. 

He had a talk with them in March and asked them to move the horse in April because we wanted to use the pasture for my garden and for whatever we wanted to.  They really didn't want to move their horse because he's super old, 28 in fact.  They worked out a deal with Y that they would pay $25 per week and fence a smaller pasture for him so that it didn't interfere with my garden. 

Because we're getting paid for the horse, we're now both okay with them showing up when they want.  I think that its a win-win situation.  Plus, I really like looking at the horse.  Now if we could just rent out another part of the pasture to somebody who has steers.  I would like to get a quarter of beef in exchange for our pasture. 

6 comments:

  1. This is a great idea.
    About the beef, maybe you could put an ad on Craigslist or around your town. Maybe someone from a local 4H club would be interested.

    Have fun looking at your horse and your extra $100 a month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. NICE!!! That sounds like a win win to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome! I think you should use the money to help take care of your garden... What I wouldn't do for an actual gardening budget!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love having the horses around too... my old guy is 30 and I wouldn't want him to relocate anywhere. That $100 extra will be really nice :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol. I had to laugh sorry. Seems quite funny and not only that you get to walk around in your underwear with the blinds open but also the whole horse scenario but it's a win win so great. I don't think I want neighbors.

    ReplyDelete