Sunday, May 1, 2011

Y Blindly trust me with Money

I don't make it a secret that I take care of the finances in my marriage.  We've been married for almost 7 years and its always been that way.  Right after we got married, we combined finances by Y adding me onto his checking and savings accounts (I had to close my accounts because I had moved across the country to be with him when we got married).  I immediately started keeping a balance and paying our bills.  I always let him know what we had in the accounts, especially back then because we were very close to being $0 in our checking account several times.

When Y was in Iraq, I took over complete control of our finances and made financial decisions without consulting Y.  I had to do that as we couldn't talk regularly.  I didn't make huge decisions but I made decisions like getting new tires when we really needed them.  I got in the habit of leaving $500 in our checking account so we wouldn't overdraft if he withdrew money in Iraq.  I checked our checking account online on a regular basis to see what we had spent or withdrawn.

He has been back from Iraq for years at this point and I still have complete control of our accounts.  Y totally trusts me with all accounts.  I let him know on a regular basis how we're doing.  I always calculate our net worth with the breakdown of savings and investments monthly.  I will show him these so he knows where we're at with saving for a house.

I like our system because I like to be in control.  He likes our system because he doesn't have to worry about bills getting paid.  He has complete financial trust in my systems and way of doing things.  It works for us. 

Does anybody else have almost complete control of their handling of the joint money?

1 comment:

  1. I have 110% control of our finance I constantly have to remind him what is what and where is where in the event something happens to me. It's better to be safe then sorry but I know in the end it goes in one ear out the other because he feels like I'm untouchable and nothing will happen to me so the finance is safe in my hands. All big decisions are also left up to me to decide financially because he trusts that I know what I'm doing. It works for us because like he Poppa Star states I catch em you cook em :)

    ReplyDelete