Thursday, June 23, 2011

Rubbing Elbows with the Rich

Today I worked at a golf tornament for work. It was a charity event that my employer put on.  I helped with registration and then sat at a hole.  I met people and took pictures.  We gave out drinks and people were able to buy brats at our hole.  It cost $80 to play for one person in the tournament.  The money went to a local youth program. 

The people who participated in the event are the affluent in our community.  They were business owners and farmers.  The farmers in my area are loaded.  Some were obviously very rich.  They drove very nice vehicles and had country club memberships.  I don't know if they are in debt or not but I know that many of them make over 250K per year.  I couldn't help feeling a little jealous.  I don't have a problem with rich people and I'm comfortable mingling with them.  I think that many of them have helpful tips for business.

I didn't like how I felt today.  I know that it was jealousy.  It made me want to keep up with the Joneses and that's not how I want to live my life.  I want to be happy with who I really am and my family and my overall life. 

Have you ever felt like this? 

3 comments:

  1. I work with a lot of very wealthy people. They have earrings that cost more than both my vehicles put together. They own condo's in the mountains to go skiing, go to Hawaii in winter, and Europe in spring.
    I do get jealous of the choices that they have. But some get so caught up in themselves that they make their life stressfull.
    I would like to make a million a year and see if I could take the stress. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kind of. I would say sometimes I get envious but I always tell myself they made some sacrifice to get there.

    Whatever reason I use it as motivation for myself to keep on my path to get where I want.

    My biggest problem is that it is slow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup, more often than I care to admit. There's a lot of people around here who seemingly have no shortage of money to spend on nice, shiny things. I keep telling myself that they must be up to their eyeballs in debt and that makes me feel a little better.

    ReplyDelete