Friday, June 17, 2011

Switching Banks

Since I work at a bank now, I'm changing our accounts over.  I always knew that changing banks would be a royal pain in the arse.  I have so many things that are on automatic payment.  Both Y and I are paid with direct deposit.  I already changed my information so I should be getting paid in my new account.  The other things that are taken out automatically are our life insurance, electric bill, Direct TV, and my student loan.  I can't remember if I'm missing anything.  I will have to keep our old account for a couple months to make sure that everything is switched over. 

Any advice on switching accounts?

4 comments:

  1. I'm in the process of doing the same thing. I know that some banks have services that do it for you and all you do it provide the information. I prefer to do it on my own though and that way I know it's done. I'm keeping the old account open with extra money in it to cover the auto debits, just in case. I also sat down last night and entered all the account #'s of the bills I pay online. It's time consuming but I will get a $100 bonus for changing and its free banking. My old account was $8.95 a month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are going about it the right way. Just keep the old one open with a buffer in it just in case you forget anything.

    I personally don't set up any automatic payments, I just log in and pay them manually. I find this safer. The only things automated are transfers to my other accounts and direct debits from work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. write down EVERYTHING so that you know what is where until it is switched!!! good Luck ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm curious, are you switching accounts to your new employer? The reason I ask is because I have a girlfriend in the banking world, who refuses to bank at her employer. I believe for privacy reasons. I can't blame her and this is why I ask.

    ReplyDelete