Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Work Reimbursements

I'm out of town currently on business for training.  I'm reimbursed for my hotel, mileage and meals.  It feels so good to not have to pay for essentials for my business.  I do have to pay for them upfront but I will submit a reimbursement when I'm back in the office on Thursday.  The reimbursement should take about ten days.  I'm completely fine with that.

With my old job, our hotel would sometimes be covered but everything else was on me.  I had to pay for my own mileage and meals even though the travel was mandatory.  I really don't miss that.

I do wonder how much its okay to spend on meals.  I ate at the Outback Steakhouse tonight because I love their food and we don't have one where I live.  It was about $20 with tip for my steak.  I paid for my beer separately.  I wonder how much its okay to request reimbursement for.  If I have to pay for part of my meal tonight, I'm completely fine with that.  They didn't tell me how much it was okay to spend on food so I really have no idea.  I will have to talk to my manager when I get back and see what she thinks.

Do you have any input on how much would be too much to spend when you're getting reimbursed from your employer?

7 comments:

  1. I work in the office that does up the claims for our employees (government). Our current allowances are $15 for breakfast, $14 for lunch and $40 for supper. They are set rates and no receipts are required. Hope your training goes well!

    ps. I posted some pics so you can see my fur babies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Usually there are set maximums for meals, like per day or per meal. They should account for snacks too so I'm pretty sure a $20 dinner is fine. That reminds me I have to submit some mileage for reimbursement. Thanks =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We get 100 a day for meals

    ReplyDelete
  4. No idea, but even if they don't reimburse the full amount, any amount is fine as you still save in the long run.

    Hope the training goes good and you enjoy yourself with your new job and everything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. enjoy your training! and I am sure that your $20 for dinner is just fine :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our company reimburses $10 for breakfast, $15 for lunch and $25 for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not sure, but i'm glad you put the alcohol separately. :)

    I wouldn't run up a huge tab on your first business training trip... Try and low ball it so they know you aren't taking advantage of it and then talk to your boss about it when you get back... but $20 for dinner should be fine.

    ReplyDelete