Thursday, July 21, 2011

How Much do I Pay a Babysitter?

I have a babysitter for Saturday night.  She is coming at 8:30 and drives herself.  I love it!  I asked her if she had a rate that she charged and she said no.  She came recommended by my neighbor and I asked her how much she pays her.  She said that for her 2 kids, she pays $5 per hour.  If her third kid is there, she adds an extra 2 or 3 bucks per hour.  I only have one kid and she will be close to bedtime or in bed at that time.  I don't believe in shortchanging her because I hardly ever get babysitters and I want her to be available the next time I need one.  I would rather pay extra now than be cheap and have her never want to come back. 

Any advice? 

7 comments:

  1. Well my daughter gets 12.00 an hour for the three little boys she watches. I know that when she babysits occasionally for another mom who has one kid she gets 10.00 an hour. But that is the going rate around me.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would do at least five, if not more. I tend to think at least minimum wage...whatever that is in your area. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. how long will she be there? I typically would pay $10 for the first hour & then $4 - 5 each additional - with her driving herself, you want to make sure that it is worth it for her to come with the price of gas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. we get a sitter every other Friday for 3 hours and I pay 25.00 and that for 1 6 yearold already in bed

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would say from 8-10 dollars an hour would be reasonable given that she wouldn't have to do much since baby will be in bed soon?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know I am a bit late on this one but I think it should be nothing less than minimum wage. A bit more if you can afford it because I believe in paying top dollar for good help, in this case especially since you are paying someone to look after your daughter.

    Since your neighbor pays $5 for two kids I think you could pay at least the $5 even though she will have less work, she is driving herself.

    I don't think you should over shoot the $5 since it can create tension between the feelings she and the neighbor has about how much she gets pays.

    I realize my thoughts can be conflicting each other but I hope you gather something from them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm late as well - but agree with the others. You should pay at least minimum wage. You want the person babysitting to be attentive and caring - not resenting you the next time they come.

    Maybe you could do $10 an hour for waking hours and $5 for sleeping hours plus a $20 bonus or something if you're late? I always hated it when parents were late.

    ReplyDelete