Sunday, July 31, 2011

July Grocery Challenge Update

I went over my $250 grocery budget this month by $27.  Not too bad!  I thought that setting a $250 budget goal was pretty lofty so I'm okay with going slightly over.  The reason that we went over was because it was Lil' Punk's 2nd birthday and we had to buy extra groceries for a BBQ.  We grilled at our house and had a very nice time. 

I won't be doing such a strict grocery budget because I noticed that we had less fruit and veggies in the house.  I was able to supplement the veggies from our garden but not entirely.  Fresh fruit is expensive and I'm definitely not willing to compromise that in our diet. 

Overall, it was a good experience.  I learned from it but can't won't do it every month.  My August grocery budget is back to $400.  Whew!

8 comments:

  1. You did awesome!! :) And I agree, I wouldn't cut back on my fruits & veggies, I eat too many of them to cut back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a 300 budget monthly from now til December. We have no choice and that is what it will be, but I am lucky because my garden is really producing and I will put some of that up for winter. Plus we have been hitting great sales at a new market that opened near us.

    You did really great

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did really well, it's so hard to stick to a grocery budget these days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you did wonderful!!!! So proud of you - good luck next month!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good going. I think you are right to take it back up. The sacrifice isn't worth the save.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW I applaud! only going over by 27.00 was awesome, but if cutting down on funds means less on healthy items in the house then I veto the cut.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Firs time here....I set a $250 food budget each month for the last couple years. I had 5 at home fulltime back then but last year was 4 at home and soon it will be 3 at home(due to 2 kids away at college). Even though I am spreading the budget out over fewer people it hasn't gotten easier to stay under that amount since the price of food has risen each year(and we have chosen healthier options as we have gone along too). $250 is Not easy so give yourself a pat on the back for your efforts.
    I do find I can stay around that mark because I shop the sales, use coupons when I can, buy in bulk from restaurant supplies and bread outlets and stockpile/freeze, buy direct from farmers in season and preserve, and try to grow a small portion of our own vegs each year. I also rebate and do surveys for cash to add additional monies to the food kitty, so in the end I am using a bit more than $250 per month most months.
    $250 takes time and effort. If you have a well paying job, your efforts prolly are better directed at earning $ rather than being ultra-frugal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. setting a grocery budget is a nice idea. i will try it.
    www.tipsdetox232.com

    ReplyDelete