Monday, August 8, 2011

Why I Quit the Coupon Game

I had slowly cut back on going to drugstores like Walgreens and CVS to get very cheap or free stuff.  It's been a few months since I've even been in one of those stores.  I quit because it became too much work to drive all the way there to see if the advertised merchandise was even in stock.  I might save a couple bucks but often times they were out of stock.  It took a lot of time and money to save a couple bucks. 

I would rather cut a few coupons and go to the main stores that I shop at to get good deals.  It was time consuming and a little bit stressful to always be chasing the deals.  There was a lot of time spent online figuring out where the deals were and spending the ECB or Register reward before they expired.

I know that many people still do these and I certainly don't fault them for saving money.  It just wasn't worth the little bit that I saved.  I was never really good at it like some though.  I wasn't willing to go to multiple stores on one day or have multiple rewards cards.  Props to those who do it though. 

9 comments:

  1. I completely understand where you are coming from. Our CVS is pretty close by, but often their merchandise is unavailable. I go occasionally to pick up only items that I will use, not really to stock up.

    Coupons can be helpful, but also can be a time drain. I'm keeping track of the savings so that I feel the time I do spend on it is worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a hard time finding coupons for products I do use and although I inspire to become more coupon savvy, I understand it's a huge time drain. My friend told me last night that her friend spends ten hours a week cutting coupons and matching deals. 10 hours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. Good for those who (1) have the time and want to go from store to store and (2) are able to find coupons for items they regularly buy. I personally have pretty much given up on using coupons though I do occasionally find one that will work for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't fumble with coupons because it just confuses me LOL. The most I'll do is try to find deals before shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where I live coupons are almost non existent but if they were I would do it the way you are now. I won't chase deals. I'll just try to capitalize on the deals at my regular stores.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you know - I am with you --- ever since summer, I haven't looked at CVS, Walgreens & Rite Aid - even though you save a ton & have stock, I was spending probably $20 a week on the game.... I am saving more by not doing it! Now, when I get low on something, I will watch for those items but that is about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Only recently(like two days ago) did I actually "play" the game at Walgreens. I needed toothpaste and detergent and was able to use the register rewards the same day. No other coupons involved.... I USE to play the game big time, but it has been a while.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never really got into that game because we have limited space in our condo and I just didn't want to deal with the problems you keep mentioning.

    I just toss out the ads and shop at the stores I normally do... (and use the ads from the places I normally shop at as a reference against their regular stock prices..)

    Its just simpler that way... and I save gas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know there are deals to be had at the drugstores, but when I've tried, the items were already sold out. I use coupons at Target and the grocery stores I shop at if I use and need the items. I haven't done much with coupons the past couple months though and it seems that the coupons haven't been as good. I've noticed that you often have to buy 3 boxes of cereal to get $1 off and I don't want too many on hand.

    ReplyDelete