Saturday, September 10, 2011

Propane Bill

We filled up on propane this summer.  We have a 1000 gallon tank and they are only able to fill 80% of the tank because they need to leave room for expansion.  I called and requested it and that's when the woman at Cenex told me they can only fill that much.  Ok, that's fine.  They actually filled us to only 70%.  That might not sound like that big of a deal but it means that we might have to buy propane in the middle of winter when propane prices are much higher.

For our summer fill, we paid $1.74 per gallon.  During the winter, propane can go as high as $3 per gallon but around the $2.50 mark is pretty common.  I just got the bill for $1070 that is due in about a week.  I will definitely need to transfer money out of savings to get that paid.  It's expensive to live in the country where natural gas isn't available. 

2 comments:

  1. I can relate. We are dependent on propane, but we only have a 100 gallon tank. Yes, the propane companies are terrible. They like to hike their prices in the winter because there is more of a demand for it. I would love to be on natural gas. So much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't quite relate but I can understand your annoyance. Hopefully the 70% can make it through the winter so you can refill when the price comes back down.

    ReplyDelete