Monday, November 14, 2011

Donating to Charity

This is something that I've struggled with for a long time.  I really don't donate to charity outside of clothing to a second hand store that donates to a charity.  A few times a year, people will ask me for donations and I happily comply. 

My employer matches dollar for dollar for donations made to our local United Way.  United Way sent somebody to talk to us about it at work.  They will even automatically withdraw the money from our paychecks throughout the year.  I decided to donate $250.  It actually came out to $252 over the course of the year.  It is $10.50 per paycheck.  It's not a lot of money but I hope that it will help United Way in my area. 

3 comments:

  1. The BF used to donate to United Way. He just stopped around a week ago. I don't know about your United Way chapter, but the VP or Pres (not sure) of our chapter makes over a million dollars a year, and there's also been all kinds of news that our chapter is extremely corrupt.

    Sorry for a bad comment. :(

    I'm sure that not all of the chapters are bad though. They help a lot of people. I read somewhere that they help around one-third of the people in my state.

    ReplyDelete
  2. United Way is worthwhile. good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's really awesome and your employer matches it so even better.

    I myself don't do much donating either but when someone asks and it is something I see as worthwhile I will happily donate.

    ReplyDelete