Thursday, November 3, 2011

Not Obsessing About Money

I had to take a little break from this blog because I was growing increasingly obsessed about our money and our money management.  I haven't been spending any more money even though I haven't been blogging regularly.  I still think about our money but I was finding it unhealthy to be writing and consequently thinking about money all the time.

I'm still focused on our goals for the year which include knocking our mortgage down to under $50,000.  Currently its under $54,000 and I'm not sure if we will make our goal for the year with regards to our mortgage.  We paid over $2000 on it toward the principal in October which is very good but I do need to build up our savings back to $30,000 now.  Y bought a $1600 computer which came out of our savings.

Do any of you other personal finance bloggers find that you start to obsess about money at a certain point?

5 comments:

  1. I've missed ya but I am glad to see you are doing OK.

    I think money a lot but I don't think it's become obsessive. I mostly think that I want more of it but I know my biggest problem is patience so that brings me back to earth. I've found recently that I was more obsessed with the blogging part and that was affecting me so I took a short break to realign myself.

    I think it is pretty cool that you took a break and changed focus for a while but it had me a little worried. Don't want to lose you completely from the realm of blogging but you are back so yay!

    Do stuff that makes you happy. If you feel you are obsessing over money and money management, focus on other stuff. Just automate your savings and debt repayment and enjoy everything else.

    I've said it before but I am really happy to see you again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I become a little bit obsessed with money... and where it goes. When I start to micromanage it, it gets the best of me. Have to keep a balance for me.

    Glad you are back and checking in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, but what I do or have done is worked too much. I have the ability to take on way too much work. Because my business is me I can work as much or as little as I want. I can teach every class,or pay others to do it. I can answer every phone call and take every job that comes in or I can turn some people away. I can clean every contract that comes my way or refuse. I was accepting everything and making huge strides on my debt, but killing myself. the work became an obsession to pay off the debt obsession. I have to fight this everyday, but I have daughters that really jump on me when I start to get over tired. I will always be a worker. I will always do way more than most people it makes me happy. But this was not making me happy. I have missed your posts. Is the wind blowing? I remember the wind always blowing as a child. Hot wind, hot gasping wind in the summer in the Dakotas. Then cold wind in the winter, freezing the tears on my cheeks as I skated everyday at the rink.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all, HI!!! We have missed you around here. Second, Yes! I obsess about it wayyyy too much. It's starting to take a toll on me. I wake up thinking about and go to sleep thinking about it. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear from you!

    I am hearing exactly what you are saying about being a little okay a lot obsessed with managing money. I am trying to write/think of other things that aren't necessarily money related. Like decluttering, DIY and crafty stuff. I'm a bit money burnt out.

    ReplyDelete