Wednesday, January 11, 2012

New Airline Credit Card?

I'm looking at booking my flight to New York in February.  The flight will cost about $430 because I need to fly out of a smaller airport than a major hub.  My sister lives in Manhattan.  I'm not gonna lie; Sharon motivated me with seeing her pictures of her going to New York with her daughters. 

If I book through American Airlines, I can get $100 off my flight if I get their credit card.  The only con is that I'm not as crazy about the flight time.  I would have to leave Lil Punk overnight at my friends house because Y is working and daycare wouldn't be open yet at the time that I need to leave.  I talked to my friend and she said that she would love to have Lil Punk and she suggested that she stay overnight versus me dropping her off there at 4:30 am.

If I book through Delta Airlines, I can get $50 off my flight if I sign up for their credit card.  This is a good discount but its just not as good as the American Airlines discount for their card. 

Both cards have an annual fee but I would just cancel it within a year so I didn't have to pay the $85.  I understand that the $85 is waived for the first year and is charged on your one year anniversary.

I know that this would be on my credit but my credit score is fantastic, over 800.  It doesn't really matter when your credit score gets over 770 or 780.  Sure it can go higher but you aren't going to get any better discounts or rates.  I know this because I work at a bank.  That being said, what would be the con for getting the card?

I've previously gotten quite a few credit cards for different perks and it has worked in my favor.  I've received discounts and I don't keep a balance so I'm better off.  I have the money to pay for this flight but I want the discount REALLY bad. 

What do you think?  Should I get an airline card for the discount?

3 comments:

  1. I'd certainly be tempted to take the $100 discount and have your friend watch your little one over night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Little Lamb, that's what I did. I'm so impatient, I couldn't wait. I applied for the card and will get the discount. My friend is more than happy to help me out and I would definitely do the same for her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wondering about this! Actually, I was looking at the AA's offers and United's offers. I am traveling in April, and the tickets are no less than $350. I'd love the extra discounts for this and any future travels, but my credit is a bit hurt to begin with, so I guess that's not an option for me anymore. You should make a post with little bits of knowledge you've gathered as a banker! Didn't know higher scores after a limit wouldn't have an effect. The more you know.

    ReplyDelete