Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Tax Refund: Yay!!!!!

We did our taxes last night and if you remember I was worried because I had put our numbers into TurboTax and it showed me owing $29 for federal.  Well, I'm happy to report that it was wrong!  We're getting back $1444 for federal and $132 for state.  I'm so happy and relieved that we aren't going to have to pay in.  That money can go straight to our house fund.

Also, it is nice knowing that the taxes are done.  We just need to sign one more item and our accountant will fax it to us for a signature.  We paid $200 for our accountant to do our taxes.  After doing a dry run through TurboTax, I would say that the $200 was well spent.  I would recommend that everybody use an accountant.  They have so much more knowledge of our tax system that they usually more than pay for themselves.

Have you done your taxes yet?  Were you surprised by the outcome?

5 comments:

  1. Wow that's good! And luckily I did my taxes around 2 weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's interesting... I should try to run my taxes down an accountant. Definitely well worth it to go to one in your case!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh congratulations!! I've done a dry run on mine, but still haven't filed yet. I've got time and want to make sure I have everything before I do. I thought for sure I would have to pay this year (as I took $$ out of my RSP), but thankfully I'm getting a refund. Down goes the debt, up go the savings and perhaps I'll buy a little something for myself, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't filed yet, but I've been using an accountant for the past four years. I decided to do this after realizing our situation had become more complex and I'd missed some important deductions doing them myself. I believe I paid $140 last year and I've always felt it was well worth it. There are a lot of things deductible that most of us would never think about!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thats a nice return! I use an accountant and I think it's worth the money for sure.

    ReplyDelete