Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Appendectomy is More Expensive than Having a Baby

I received my explanation of benefits from Y's appendectomy.  I was completely shocked to open it and find that his appendectomy cost $16,630.78 plus emergency room charges of about $400.  I completely understand the emergency room and I was actually pleasantly surprised by that amount.  I was flabbergasted by how much it cost.  It cost about double from when I had Lil Punk almost 3 years ago.  I think it cost around $9000 to have her which included all of my prenatal visits, birthing, hospital stay, and a follow up appointment for her. 

For Y's appendectomy, we arrived about 7:45 am and left by 6 pm.  Yes, he had surgery in there but it didn't really seem like it should cost that freakin' much.  Our cost is $1114 which isn't too bad considering but still.  We don't pay for our health insurance as it is a benefit to Y from his employer and they pick up the entire cost.

Just needed to vent...freakin' ridiculous!

Side note:  Canadian friends:  please don't tell me that it sucks to live in the States and I should move to Canada for their healthcare.  I really like where I live.  Thank you.

10 comments:

  1. Shocking isn't it? But then I am on a medication that is $4000.00 a month. I could inject gold cheaper. Look at it this way before 1940 he more than likely would have died from appendicitis. I had two uncles that did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Canadian healthcare isn't so wonderful in some respects anyway. I think Americans who have good coverage are very fortunate. We have huge wait times and most times have no choice about it. What an eye opener to know how much it costs though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy that's pretty shocking...wow. How can an appendectomy be more than a birth?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My hysterectomy (in 2009) was under $4000, and my part was only the pre-surgery co-pays (about $50), that included a 2 night stay in the hospital.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that does sound like a lot! Last year son # 2 was in for 9 days b/c the appendix ruptured (prob during the loooong emergency room wait!) and then ended up fused to the colon. Long, delicate surgery and that was "only" $27,000. Weird. Nice you have health insurance :) Love the blog! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Out My Window, wow, $4000! I never thought of dying of appendicitis. Midnight, we are lucky that he went in before it burst. Thank you for all your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! My dad had a scheduled appendectomy back in November and the amount billed to the insurance for everything was around $2,500. This also took place at a gastroenterology outpatient surgery center, so perhaps that made a difference. Hope your hubby got some stellar hospital food for lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My dad's appendix burst about 2 years ago. We too have free health car but what little lamb said is completely true. My dad could have lost his life waiting.

    I am sort of glad for the free healthcare in some respects because my dad would have never afforded a surgery that cost that much or he would have absorbed a huge amount of debt in the process. He doesn't have health benefits.

    To be honest it is scary. Nothing is wrong with where you live. Everywhere has it's strength and it's weaknesses. You have combated your not having free health care by having health insurance benefits.

    I'm happy everything worked out.

    ReplyDelete