Monday, April 23, 2012

Closing Out Old Bank Accounts

Almost a year ago we switched banks but I never closed out my checking and savings accounts at my old bank.  In part it was because our mortgage was with that bank.  I would transfer money from ING to my old checking account to pay our mortgage.

Today when I logged into that bank to check my credit card balance, I was surprised to see my checking account overdrawn.  I knew that it only had about $18 in it.  I was assessed a $19.95 fee.  I called the service center and they told me it was because I had their platinum package.  I needed to have $25,000 in either deposit accounts or loans.  Since I just paid off my mortgage, I was assessed the fee this month.  I asked the very nice customer rep to refund the fee.  He did so.  My plan going forward will be to close out the accounts at my local branch.

I love it when I get good customer service.  I was always impressed with that bank before and its nice to know that hasn't changed. 

I almost feel a little guilty about closing out my accounts.  Would you?

4 comments:

  1. No, trust me they made their money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Kim. I wouldn't feel guilty. I recently made a full change of bank accounts and can't wait to close this old one. Besides, leaving it open is just asking for something to happen. If you've waited a few months and nothing has changed, I'd say close it. (Also, most banks will refund up to 2 overdraft fees either per 12-month period or during the life of the account)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't feel guilty at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You don't have to feel guilty at all. What you can always do is promote that banks customer service when someone is shopping for banks. I myself love good customer service.

    ReplyDelete