Sunday, April 8, 2012

Using Rewards to Get Free Things

As we've been trying to save more money lately, I've looked elsewhere to get what I want.  I broke my camera a little while ago.  With have a little tot, that just won't do.  I had about 15,000 United Mileage Plus miles.  I have their credit card and have for a number of years.  I don't use it as much anymore because I don't travel as much as I used to.  It's been a long time since I've used my miles to get a free airline ticket but I have received about 3-4 free tickets.

Anyway, I logged into my Mileage Plus account to see if I could use my miles for anything other than a free airline ticket.  (I knew that I didn't have enough for a free ticket.)  There are many items that you can buy with your miles.  I selected a camera for about 10,000 miles.  I got it the other day and I've been very happy with it.  It would have been about a $100 camera if I would have purchased it retail.

I also lost my earbuds a little while ago.  Its been quite awhile since I've looked at my Swagbucks account but I knew that I had at least one Amazon gift card.  I found a pair of earbuds that were about $12 including shipping.  I requested another $5 gift card from Swagbucks for Amazon (I won't receive it for up to 14 days.)  I paid $7 for a pair of earbuds after using my $5 Amazon gift card.  I'm pretty happy with that price because I know that I would have paid more in the store. 

Do you use your rewards as soon as you get them?  Do you have any rewards out there that you could use?

3 comments:

  1. Great deals! I tend to use my rewards right away, but I want to change that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I save up my Amazon rewards using Swagbucks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have about $10.80 worth of rewards that I haven't used yet. They can only be used at select merchants on the island, I'm hoping I can redeem it for gas. I have to put it in the car so I can have it ready.

    Those are some awesome deals you got, free airline tickets, a free new camera and discounted headphones. I really need to check out swagbucks.

    ReplyDelete