Saturday, May 12, 2012

Preparing to Move & Friends Reactions to Building

We're in the process of moving all of our stuff into our barn and detached garage.  We don't have a place to live yet but we will need to get that lined up next week.  We completely cleaned our garage today and I'm so tired.  We have a lot of stuff! 

Last weekend, I went to the Parade of Homes with a friend of mine.  The Parade of Homes is several new homes that you can tour.  She kept giving me suggestions on what I had to do for our new home.  It wasn't very nice the way she kept doing it.  She wanted to see my house plans and I purposefully forgot them because I don't want her criticism.  She always has something to say about what we do.  I just wish she could be happy for us. 

It seems like many of our friends aren't very happy that we're building our house.  Maybe about half are happy for us and excited.  The others keep saying how hard it will be and blah, blah, blah. 

Does anybody else have friends or family like this?  Please just be happy for us and support our decision. 

4 comments:

  1. It's hard, but do what makes YOU happy, because ultimately that's all that matters. My friends were decidedly unexcited after my announcement that I was going to school in the fall, but I know it's the right thing for me, despite the knowledge that I'll be taking on debt. I'm feeling so much happier already knowing I won't be at a job I dislike for 9 whole months. What's right for one person isn't right for everyone, so be excited for your plans and dreams and challenges regardless of what other people think or say! Refuse to let them get you down!! Excitement is infectious... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely happy for you and excited. I think it's pretty awesome to be building instead of buying. You get a home that feels even more like your home.

    I do have a few friends and associates that criticize some of my decisions and my choices but I do them anyways.

    Things are going to be fine. Hakuna Mutata :)

    Happy Mother's Day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That'll be exciting! And yes, there are always people that want to do the plans for you. Live the way you want to live, not the way others want you to. Hope we get photos of the progress. Good job cleaning the garage!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My kiddos are six years apart. We're pretty restrictive on what we'll commit to with the older one because of how it will affect the younger's routine and ultimately our sanity. While everyone was over the moon when the baby first came along because they got to oogle it without having to have another of their own, they now seem to harbor some bad feelings because the baby has kept us from doing things they wish we could.

    Ultimately, it's hard on us too, but these kids are my legacy and will be around long after a lot of these friendships have dissolved. I prefer the long term investments because the short term ones end up just that - falling short.

    Take pride in your accomplishments but consider saying things like "we need to keep expenses down" or "I don't think we can afford something like that". Taking this modest route will help calm the jealousy and envy that your friends may be starting to feel towards you as your new home becomes a reality. True friends are happy when you're happy. Whatever happens, only you know what's best for your family.

    ReplyDelete