Thursday, September 20, 2012

General Update

We closed on our house last week.  I was super stressed about it and completely felt like a borrower.  I was worried that our house wouldn't be done in time and the toilets were only put in the night before.  For clarification, our house payment is $937 per month which does not include our taxes and insurance.  We don't know how much our property taxes will be as we were taxed on our other house previously here.  I'm meeting with the property assessor next week for him to assess the property for tax purposes.  I'm sure I'll know more after that meeting.  Our home insurance was $834 but I think that I'm going to change companies because I have the shittiest agent ever.  More on that later.

I was super worried about having to go into credit card debt because of the house and we technically are.  We purchased our appliances at % for 18 months and we still owe a little over $7000 on them.  However, that is the only credit card debt we have.  We managed to pay for everything with our savings and current income.  I still have to pay for the septic and we will have about $600 left in our savings after paying that bill.  That's the lowest that our savings account has ever been since we got married 8+ years ago.  It scares the dickens out of me.

My game plan going forward is this:

1.  pay septic bill--we have the money but I just need to do it
2.  build up savings account to at least $5000, preferably $10,000
3.  pay off student loan--balance of about $4500
4.  pay off Best Buy Credit card--appliances, I might do this before student loan, the interest rate is 25% if we don't have it paid in full by 18 months, ouch!

And somewhere in there, we need a bed for Lil Punk and we would like new bedroom furniture for us and the living room, maybe after step 2.  Lil Punk's bed might not wait that long.  We have a crib mattress for her and she is currently sleeping on an air mattress (which she loves).  Yes, bad parents.  We just need to go buy her one. 

Thank you all so much for your nice wishes.  That really means a lot to me.  I hope to post more :)

4 comments:

  1. I noticed you asking another blogger to add you to his blogroll. I hope you don't mind if I add you to mine.

    One great way to promote your blog, if you're at all interested, is via Twitter. It really helped me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to see pictures! Even with the air mattress....:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you're doing great overall!! :) You'll have the appliances paid off I'm sure, I'd definitely make that a priority with that 25% interest rate! Ouch!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! The way you were talking about the overages earlier, I expected much worse! That's awesome that you've been able to cash flow so much of it. I am sure with your discipline you'll have a nice safety net built up and Best Buy knocked out in no time.

    ReplyDelete