Thursday, October 11, 2012

A Day Off :)

I have today off just to have the day off.  I intend to do some cleaning and cooking.  I also might have to do a little working for my job.  I get 28 days off a year but I'm so busy that its hard to use them.  I decided to take a random day off to try to settle in a little bit more.

On Monday, I was at a meeting with my coworkers.  One mentioned that she had bought her daughter a Halloween costume from a boutique in California.  I asked another coworker if she had any old costumes from her daughter who is now 10.  She said that she did and would take a look.  Yesterday she brought me in 3 costumes including a pumpkin one that will fit Lil Punk.  Yay!  That is money saved but also another costume won't end up in a landfill.

I've come to realize with moving and getting settled just how much stuff we have.  We want it, we buy it, we use it and we throw it.  It is all just a huge waste.  I'm not always that green but I want to be more so because it seems like a shame to have so much stuff rotting away in a landfill. 

Does anybody else think about this when they're looking to buy something new yet again? 

3 comments:

  1. I'm a sucker for a deal. It used to be I would buy stuff just because it was cheap. In the past couple of years I have started rethinking that and purging what I already have. I ask myself things like "how will I use this?"... "do I have a place to put this?"... "is the amount that I use it worth the space it will take up." Pretty commonly the answer is no.

    While I'm not big on "green" stuff, I'm not against it either. What I mean by that is I don't feel compelled to pay more for something because it's made out of recycled material. After all, shouldn't it cost less? I am willing to pay more, a lot more sometimes, for something made in the USA, as I know it gives Americans jobs and is (hopefully) better regulated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 28 days off, I'm jealous! The max we can get at my workplace is 15 days (and that's after 12 years of service!). Hope you got all caught up. I think that's a great idea, to recycle stuff like that. I don't dress up or have to worry about dressing others up, but I think it's an excellent idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 28 days is awesome. I work for the state and I get 10.83 annual leave accrual a month and 8.67 sick leave. Also we get a personal holiday once a year (free day) and all holidays. It's the biggest benefit we have.

    We are dressing our little guy up as scooby doo! I bought it when he was 1, but it just now fits :)
    '

    ReplyDelete