Thursday, October 4, 2012

I am a Grocery Hoarder

I am a grocery hoarder disguised as a cook who just wants everything on hand.  Since we've moved into our house 3 weeks ago, I've spent $600 on groceries.  Yes, we have a well-stocked pantry and freezer below the fridge.  Our fridge has what we need plus some. 

I think that I have an issue with hoarding food.  I just cannot stand a bare pantry.  Even if I only use black beans once a month, I want to have a couple cans on hand just in case. 

I've tried to examine why I'm like this and I'm drawing a blank.  My mom hoarded food and was very messy about it. She would leave grocery bags of food on the kitchen floor because her pantry was overloaded with very likely expired food.  She would have 4 bottles of ketchup that she had bought at all different times.  I hated it.  It was a waste of food and you could never find anything.

Yet I find myself buying so much food.  I do not let food go to waste and my pantry is very well-organized.  We eat our pantry and freezer down to almost nothing at least once, often twice a year just so we don't have old food. 

Why do I do this?  Should I stop?  Does anybody else just feel the deep need to have a lot of food on hand?

BTW:  I love to cook but am not overweight at all.  I'm a size 4 or 6 depending so its not like I'm eating all the food at once. 

7 comments:

  1. Personally if you are using the food and it is not sitting around expiring I see no problem. I try to keep all my cabinets and my pantry and freezer stocked because I know a few times a year we are going to have months where there will be no food shopping. So as long as your not wasting money or using money you dont have I think your doing great

    ReplyDelete
  2. As long as it's organized and you do go through the food you have without overspending, then by all means, go for it. $600 may sound like a lot, but it sounds like you're building a pantry from scratch, so I would think those costs will be going down in the next few weeks as you settle down to use what you've bought. Problem is when you start buying more than you can use before it expires, and more than can fit in the pantry. I've let my pantry go completely bare, but mostly out of being lazy. I think you'd cry if you saw how small my pantry is, and how very few items it contains. But I plan for 2 weeks ahead, so I only need to buy food for 2 weeks at a time. As to why you'd do that... perhaps you got tired at some point of not having X when trying to finish a recipe? Have you tried planning ahead what you will eat the following week? If overstocking is bothering you, I'd def recommend you make a weekly plan (or 2 weeks) of what you will eat the next 1-2 weeks and see if you need to buy anything else to make it through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I'm the same way, but for me it's so my kids never go hungry. I went hungry soo many times as a kid that I swore my kids would never go hungry. Ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am the exact opposite. Most of the time our fridge has butter, milk, and sometimes eggs. Now that DD is around I try to keep more food on-hand since I know she needs to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's very sensible as long as it's organized and not expiring. Have you ever considered the possibility of a natural disaster happening in your area. Hurricanes are common along the gulf of Mexico, tornados in the Midwest, earthquakes, etc. This year, along the east coast there were several states without power for 2 weeks. You certainly don't want to be stocking up at Walmart while the tornado sirens are blaring (along with hundreds of other people). If people will trample each other on Black Friday for a computer what do you think would happen over the last can of food at the grocery store during an emergency? The Red cross have a disaster checklist online and recommends at least 2 weeks of food handy at all times and 3 days worth of water.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always have a lot of food in the house, canned, boxed, refrigerated, frozen. It always shocks me when people (families, not bachelors) have empty fridges. I blame it on my mother. We hardly ever had any good food in the house growing up and when I go visit, she still doesn't now. She'd rather spend food money on knick knacks or junk food that she eats immediately. I do wish we had fewer condiments. We use them all, but they sure take up a lot of fridge space.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It doesn't sound like a problem, as long as you are organized about it and nothing goes to waste. But it is interesting to wonder why we do some of the things we do, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete