Monday, November 5, 2012

Eye Exam Time

It's been over a year since I had been to the optometrist.  I had put it off because I didn't have an established relationship with an optometrist in my town.  I asked around at work and got mediocre answers on whom to go to.  My very good friend recommended one at a small vision clinic with 3 optometrists.  I made the appointment and got in last week.

We are very blessed to have vision insurance through my employer.  I had a co-pay of $35 for the contact fitting and eye exam.  My insurance also covers $100 towards contacts so I ordered 4 boxes with 6 each.  I had to pay $40 for the contacts but they should last me about a year because I only change them every couple months.  I don't keep track of how often I should change them but when they get sticky, I get a new pair.  I also made an appointment for Y for later this month. 

I've never had insurance that covered a portion of the cost for my contacts.  I'm very grateful for the awesome coverage :)

If you haven't been to an optometrist in the last year, I urge you to go.  Kirby Puckett (incredible baseball player that used to play with the Minnesota Twins) was diagnosed with gluacoma, an eye disease, that caused him to go blind on one eye.  It put an end to his baseball career but if it would have been caught earlier, they could have stopped the blindness. 

Do you have vision insurance?  Have you been to the eye doctor lately?

2 comments:

  1. I managed to sneak in my eyeglasses claim earlier this summer before I quit my job to become self-employed. My contacts/glasses cost me $500+ but the work insurance reimbursed me $200 (the max is $200 every two years) of it plus the cost of my eye exam.
    I'm now on the provincial health plan and they unfortunately don't cover vision or dental :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. At Concourse Optometry we stock the most recent styles from many name brands. Whatever your needs, we will locate the most attractive, best fitting pair of eyeglasses for you! Here is a rundown of the brands we convey: Irvine Eye Doctor

    ReplyDelete