Wednesday, November 28, 2012

If I Won The Lottery

I bought my Powerball ticket today.  With the all cash option, it is up to $380 million.  I could do a lot of things with that money.  There is the obvious things that I would do: pay off all debts, go on a couple trips like see the Grand Canyon and go salmon fishing in Alaska, buy hunting land for Y, set up a college fund for Lil Punk and invest enough to never be poor again.

But....I would need purpose in my life and that would involve giving back.  My best friend is an addiction counselor at a faith based organization.  I would love to set up a place for her to run it and do pro bono work at her option.  I don't always understand addiction but I will always support her in her sobriety and work. 

I would also want to set up a horse camp/program for underprivileged and troubled youth.  It's been proven that working with animals gives people a sense of trust and purpose.  I love horses and I think that this would be fun and rewarding. 

I would also like to set up a women's shelter and program for those who are victims of domestic abuse and/or rape.  So many times women (and sometimes men) stay in a bad situation because they don't have a way to support themselves.  I would love to be able to offer education opportunities that would benefit them in the long run.  Working with them to get reliable housing set up and working on budgeting would be right up my alley. 

I know that many lottery winners regret winning the lottery because it can lead to having to move, addiction, divorce, etc.  I would hope that I could do more good with the winnings in a way that would give me purpose so it didn't ruin my life.  Anyway, I highly, highly doubt I will win but its still something to think about.

What would you do?


2 comments:

  1. What wonderful ideas you have! I always say that if I won a huge sum of money, I'd keep working on a pro bono basis, providing my professional services to people who need them but can't afford them. I would also set up a foundation to provide other rehabilitation services to people who have sustained brain injuries. I would hate to think that such a monumental windfall would only benefit me and my family/friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What excellent ideas! I often think about what I'd do with a big windfall like that (in Canada, our winnings aren't considered taxable earnings, so we get to keep it all, btw). I know I would pay off my friends' mortgages; give lots to charity; build a new, state-of-the-art, Green-to-the-hilt animal shelter here; pay off debts (my own, my sister's) and put some aside for a comfortable retirement. I'd also splurge and take a year off (maybe two) to just explore the world - volunteer vacations, visiting friends, that sort of thing. I'd want a place of my own with enough property to have animals - not really an animal shelter, but home to those who are elderly, need a little TLC, etc. Care in their senior years.

    ReplyDelete