Sunday, January 6, 2013

2013 Goals

Financial
  • Pay off Best Buy Card
  • Pay off Student Loan
  • Get Savings to $10,000
  • Get Savings to $30,000
  • Start Non-retirement investment account
  • Get $10,000 in investment account
  • set up 529 plan for Lil Punk
  • save all quarterly bonuses for Lil Punk (these average around $200 per quarter)
  • Pay off my car
House
  • Finish covered porch
  • Do Landscaping
  • plant apple trees
  • plant blueberry bushes
  • plant asparagus
  • plant blackberry bushes
Personal
  • Run at least one 3 mile race
  • drink more water
  • Floss every day
  • Keep sodas to one per day
So far I've only focused on drinking more water and I've been successful so far.  I'm not sure if I really want to pay off my car.  It's at 0% interest so it would make more sense to just save the money but it would improve our cash flow to pay it off. 

What do you think of my goals?  Achievable?  Measurable?

Happy 2013!

7 comments:

  1. Quitting smoking will have a greater impact on your life than any of these will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! Are you tackling your financial goals in that order, so the car would be the last to do?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great goals. $30,000 is a lot of extra money if you can manage to save that much (^_^) For your car payments, would it be better to save the money in a bank account, even if it's making you 1% interest, and then pay off the car loan all at once right before your 0% interest rate expires. But it depends on your current cash flow needs. Good luck with the house and personal goals too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Laura - as long as the car payoff is the last of the goals, I think it's fine. How long does the zero percent interest last?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura, that is the order that I will tackle the financial goals. The car is at 0% for the life of the loan. I know that it doesn't make financial sense to pay it off but we can pay for daycare for a 2nd baby (if that would happen :) ) with the money saved from not paying the student loan and car. I guess that I could always save the money and if it got too tight with added daycare, we could pay it off at that time. That might be a better plan. With thinking about another baby, that would put our daycare cost well over $1000 per month.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would pay off the student loan, but I might hold off on the car loan and build up savings instead. If you get sick of the car payment you can always pay it off, but from early posts I seem to remember you prefer the comfort of having a sizable liquid savings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your goals and I especially love how you staged the savings goal with one at $10000 and then a second at $30000. The personal goals are awesome too and I should take a page from your book, especially flossing.

    I know you can achieve them all once you put your mind to it. On the car loan, I much prefer to free up cash flow but I also understand the 0% appeal. If you are comfortable with the incoming cash flow, I would say pay off the loan over the life of it, if you find you keep wishing you could use the extra income, then eliminate the car loan at that time.

    Best wishes for 2013 and I'll be following all the way :)

    ReplyDelete