Saturday, February 9, 2013

I Am a Gardening GEEK!!!

If there's one thing that has changed since I moved to the country, it would be that I absolutely love planting veggies and fruits.  So much so that I'm pouring over my seed magazines today on this wintery February day so I can place my order for seeds and plants.  If I place it before February 13th, I get 50% off.  However, I will still likely spend around $200 in part to planting many perennial fruit plants.  I will be ordering the following:

Honeyberries--these are like large blueberries but they grow in alkaline soil which we have here
Black raspberries--I already have regular raspberries planted and I think that these will cross polinate beautifully
Goji Berries--these are a cross between strawberries, raspberries, and cranberries that are supposed to be very good for you
Bush cherries--like regular cherries but smaller and tarter
Purple asparagus--I love asparagus and its only one of two vegetable perennials plants (the other is rhubarb).  I will also be getting regular asparagus from an acquaintance that we gave a brand new tub that didn't fit into our house. 
Red Zepplin onions--These are huge onions that are supposed to keep for up to 8 months.  We eat a lot of onions and they are quite expensive in the store.  We ran out of our onions in December of this year but if we could grow enough to see us through the winter, that would be great.

A few other things we are buying:

Radishes--a good mix.  I love radishes.
parsnips
zucchini
hot pepper plants
tomato plants
kohlrabi
spinach
lettuce mix
corn
Beans--soybeans, pole beans (purple and green), and shell beans
peas
cilantro
Watermelon
cantaloupe


I'm sure there are other things that I'm buying that I haven't listed here.  I just love gardening and really look forward to it.  I'm a little bored with finances lately so this blog may turn to the gardening and personal side for the next little bit. 

Do you garden?  Or do you shop at a farmer's market?  Do you see anything that I'm missing?

5 comments:

  1. Wow, that's an impressive mix. Do you have photos of your garden? Must be quite colorful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do the garden and the fruit stand. The only thing we put in that I dont see on your list is pumpkins, regular peppers and carrots. We tried potatos one year but that didnt work out well

    Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is quite a list! Looks like you grow most of your produce. Have you done Spaghetti Squash or Acorn Squash? They are winter squashes and keep well for several months. Not sure how easy they are to grow but if you have the space those might be good to add in. I am excited to see how this turns out for you! Does Lil Punk like to help with the garden?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pumpkins, carrots and regular peppers will definitely be planted, too. The only things that I steer clear of are cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower because the worms were really bad last year for those veggies. Sam, I will plant some sort of winter squash but I'm not sure what kind yet. My hubby doesn't like spaghetti squash so I will probably pass on that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cucumbers! Mmm mmm mmm. I also highly recommend a Crenshaw melon. They have the flavor of a cantaloupe, but the crispness of a watermelon. They are delicious!

    Winter squash are super easy to grow, they just take a long time and a lot of space. Buttercup and acorn are my favorites for plain eating. Butternut is very versatile and makes good soups and such in addition to eating plain. I, too, tried broccoli last year and it didn't really pan out. Cabbage the year before was also a flop. Oddly enough though, the broccoli still looked alive when there was snow on the ground. The stuff just wouldn't die!

    I get really discouraged by weeds. Any advice?

    ReplyDelete