Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Hiring An Interior Decorator

I want to hire an interior decorator. I have no talent in this area but I would like my house decorated. We have a few things put up on the walls but it by no means looks like it is really decorated. A friend if mine us buying a new house and she gave the decorator a $1000 budget. I'm waiting to see what results she has on that budget.

I won't be doing this soon. I will get our Best Buy card and student loan paid off before I do anything. I will save up for the cost of it and stick to a budget that Y and I agree upon.

I know that the cheapest solution would be to get help from a friend. The one friend who is gifted in this area is less than thrilled that we built a new house. She has acted weird towards me since we finished our house.

Would you ever pay for an interior decorator? Are you naturally gifted in this area?

8 comments:

  1. I just bought a house and I am relying on friends and family for decorating help. I love having multiple opinions and am too cheap to hire a decorator. I have found that looking up images online for ideas has been a huge help. I plan on posting before after pics of my house next month. Good luck! Sorry to hear your friend is jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm terrible when it comes to decorating. That said, we just redid our house. I bought things at garage sales that I really loved and then redid the room when I had enough stuff collected. Some of it worked and some didn't. But it was ok if it didn't work because I never paid much for it and it will be resold at our garage sale this summer.
    I would say poke around the web and save some of the pictures that you like and see if you can't copy it for cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The best place for inspiration is Pinterest or HGTV.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not very gifted in this area, but my husband & I are super sparse & not particularly into decorations. He has an amazing eye for color & furniture, so I let him handle this area. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for your ideas. I like contemporary/comfy style but when I try to achieve that look it just looks very plain. I think I do need help. I did get great news tonight that my good friend from TN is maybe coming to visit this summer. She helped me decorate our apartment in TN on a budget.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey fly me out and I will do it for free! Or better yet wait until I pull through turtle lake on my way to see Aunt. I am a bang up decorator and can do it on a shoe string. I need to get some genealogy done at the recorders in Velva also. Aren't you close to these two huge towns? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I actually would pay an interior decorator; once they let me have at least a little input. I also am not gifted in that area so I really don't mind paying someone who is better. I think you have a great plan which is to watch how your friend's $1000 budget interior decorator does. Just remember, don't just judge it by your impression, watch to see if your friend is happy with the process and end result.

    ReplyDelete
  8. IF you have the money, there's nothing wrong with paying a decorator. If you don't - look through magazines (library) for ideas. Got through model homes or open homes for ideas. Pinterest! There are so many ways to get ideas. I personally love Pottery Barn - but not their prices. I've been able to decorate our second house like Pottery Barn but not using their over-priced items.

    ReplyDelete