Sunday, March 10, 2013

Tax Situation Figured Out

It has taken me over three weeks to calm down enough to write this post. I wrote previously about how I was worried that we would owe taxes but I was using a new accountant to figure it all out. This all turned into a nightmare from hell.

It started by me dropping everything off with the accountant and him spending all of two minutes talking to me about our situation. Fast forward two weeks later and I get a call on Valentines Day that they're ready. I go pick them up and pay the shocking amount of $375 only to find out that we owe over $4500. I figured that he was for sure wrong but I had to pay his ridiculous fee to pick them up. At this point, I'm physically sick but determined to find the mistake in my tax return.

After spending two hours at work, I found his mistake. He had calculated that we owed Alternative Minimum Tax and we did not. I call him immediately and he says he will look into it.

A few days later, I get a call that they're all fixed. We owe $655 for federal and $159 for state. I asked him about a refund on the amount that we paid. He said he was too busy but I should check back after April 15 and I would get a partial refund.

I so should have used my old accountant who is 45 minutes away or used Turbo Tax.

What a freakin headache! Have you ever heard anything like this?

9 comments:

  1. I've never had anything like that related to taxes since mine are quite simple. It would really piss me off to have to correct a "professional's" mistake. Make sure you get that refund, whatever it is. That would really upset me.

    At least you know not to go there again next time and everything is corrected.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, I'm so sorry it was such a pain to file your takes! I'm always hesitant to try the new accountants because we had a bad experience before too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. UGH!! What a mess!! Soo glad you found his mistake though!! I hope you get that partial refund back!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is very scary... wow. Almost $4,000 overpayment and they didnt think to check? They definitely get a BAD review! I would really try to get that refund, though I'd get something in writing if possible... it's quite possible they'll "forget" about the partial refund or just change their mind. They're not THAT busy just yet... they will be in 3 weeks, but not just yet. Processing a refund isnt rocket science. I think they just dont want to. That's a pretty bad mistake, and I'm glad you guys caught it... I would've freaked out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I'm so sorry to hear this! I've been using the same accountant for almost 10 years & if she moved to Timbuktu I would drive there in order for her to do my taxes. I've learned in *everything* in life, to stick with someone you know you can trust!

    ReplyDelete
  6. um I think you got ripped off. My aunt does taxes on the side, and I think she charges like $50 for a filing. (She does mine for free). That is so unfair that he wouldn't give you a refund now--you had to REDO his work because he screwed up! I would keep pestering him and threaten to write a bad review or report him to the BBB

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so proud of you for finding the mistake! Maybe you should do your own taxes. My FIL is a CPA and he uses a program that saves the information from one year to the next so the first year is a pain in the butt but after that its easy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is ridiculous! I go to a mom and pop CPA who always gets me a better refund than Turbo Tax, and the most I've ever paid is $145. Hope you get this ironed out!

    ReplyDelete