Sunday, July 28, 2013

My Garden and other Ramblings

My garden is coming along well, right along with the weeds :). I made a cabbage and ramen salad tonight with cabbage, green onions, and carrots from the garden. I've also made several dishes with summer squash and zucchini. I have made a pasta salad with zucchini, fried zucchini and grilled zucchini. Y is so sick of zucchini. I would gladly take any recipes or cooking suggestions with either zucchini or summer squash.

Lil Punk and I ate the first ripe cherry tomatoes today. I love, love tomatoes. I like eating them plain, in salads, cooking with them in almost all dishes, stuffing them with rice and cheese, in relishes or salsas, in soup, broiled, grilled and any other way I can think of. They were the one food I craved when I was pregnant with Lil Punk and it seems like she now shares my tomato appreciation.

We've eaten the following from our garden: kohlrabi, zucchini, summer squash, cucumbers, cabbage, onions, beets, tomatoes, spinach, lettuce, ground cherries, bell peppers, hot peppers, carrots, peas, and tomatoes. The other things we would like to eat are the following: corn, tomatillos, garlic, edamame, lima beans, shell beans, string beans, parsnips, acorn squash, butternut squash, pumpkins, turnips, and potatoes.

We celebrated Lil Punk's fourth birthday yesterday. I love the age she is now. I don't want her to grow up. She's so perfect (in my eyes!). She got quite practical birthday gifts. I'm decorating her room for a little girl. I ordered a bunk bed set online but it didn't make it here for her birthday.  I am excited to see how her room looks when its all done.

Do you have a garden? How's it coming along?

6 comments:

  1. My zucchini slice recipe is yummy:

    3 cups grated zucchini
    3 tsp tamari (It is in the recipe but I dont think I have ever put this in)
    1 cup grated cheese
    1/2 cup of olive oil
    5 eggs
    1 chopped onion
    1 cup of plain flour
    Salt and Pepper

    Mix altogether, put in a baking pan and cook at 180 degrees C (350 degrees F) for 35-40 mins until top is golden brown.
    You can eat hot or cold with salad or vegies.
    You could also add some bacon if you wanted to.
    PS: These are Australian cups- 250ml. I'm not sure where you are based.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a fantastic garden! We just opted for containers on the deck this year, to make things simple. We have spinach, cucumber, cherry tomatoes (the husband promised me that they were roma sized tomatoes - yeah, three giant plants of cherry tomatoes instead ;-)), and strawberries. Our grape vines are also doing well, but we need a few more weeks of sunshine.

    Have you ever made zucchini cookies (with chocolate chips, of course)? I don't have a recipe, but that would be good. Can you shred it & freeze it, for zucchini breads in the winter?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's a chicken dish with zuke. If you have ripe tomatoes and zukes this one is even better....
    http://simpleslug.blogspot.com/2009/05/lenas-lemon-pepper-chicken-recipe.html

    Or for yellow squash, "Put cheese on it and even the kids will eat it" casserole....
    http://simpleslug.blogspot.com/2009/08/my-familys-favorite-summer-squash.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. My easy zucchini recipe:

    2 cans diced fire roasted tomatoes (my store carries Muir Glen 14.5 oz cans)
    1 package Ekrich turkey sausage
    3-4 small zucchini (or combination of yellow squash and zucchini)
    1 large onion

    Thinly slice zucchini, place in pan with onion sliced into rings and canned tomatoes. Bring to boil, then simmer until zuccini is desired tenderness. Add sliced sausage and heat until warm. Serve in bowls and sprinkle with shredded parmesan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am waste in the kitchen and no green thumb experience whatsoever. I do admire what's coming from your garden though. Happy belated birthday wishes to Lil Punk. I always joke that I don't want to raise children until they are three years or so, I so want to skip those first years, they seem scary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday, Lil Punk! I think 3 to 6 is about my favorite age range so far. My oldest is 9 now and we frequently duke it out. My youngest will be three soon and I'm very excited! She has become so much fun lately.

    I don't have a garden this year as I was much too busy this spring. You should check AllRecipes.com for unusual squash recipes. Last year I made an apple knock-off squash dessert, taking special care to seed the squash and slice it like apples, and I fooled our friend who won't eat veggies under any circumstances. FYI, it's really rich. I think it would go good with some vanilla frozen yogurt.

    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Zucchini-Cobbler-2/Detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Thumb&e11=squash%20crisp&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Home%20Page

    ReplyDelete