Wednesday, August 28, 2013

August 2013 Grocery Challenge Update

I ended up spending $306 this month for groceries and my goal was to come in under $400 for the month. I definitely consider this a success. Most months we spend around $550 or $600. We ate down our pantry and ate from our garden as much as possible. I did not do one large grocery trip but did a few smaller ones.

While it was a successful month and we ate decent food, I did miss trying a little bit more elaborate meals and menu planning. I menu planned but only for the meals that we could make out of the pantry, fridge and freezer. Since I enjoy cooking and eating very much, I did miss this.

For September, we will still try to use up some items in out pantry but I will go back to regular grocery shopping and trying new recipes. I will do my best to keep it under $500.

On a much more lively note, we got three kitties for outside. They live in our shed. They are so cute. Watching them play is fun for all of us. No names just yet but we're working on it.

How did your August turn out for grocery spending?

3 comments:

  1. Wow.. that's awesome! Our August was expensive all around! Next month will be better all around! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, awesome! Good job on saving hundred dollars! Our August was more expensive because of some car repairs (planned but painful nonetheless). But I hope to really stick to our budget next month!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our food budget is awful. I hate shopping, meal preparation, menu planning ... all of it! But I love kittens ... so sweet and fun!

    ReplyDelete