Monday, August 19, 2013

Garden Goodies and Other Ramblings

My garden is in full swing. I've already made a tentative plan of what I need to change next year. Y and I are sick of summer squash and zucchini. He won't eat it at all anymore. We do have a lot of cherry tomatoes. They finally started to make it out of the garden this week. Lil Punk and I love tomatoes and snack on them in the garden. We also have several pepper plants. Tonight I cut up bell peppers and onions. I packaged them up and froze them. They will come in handy later for fajitas.

We also have a ton of cucumbers. Again, Lil Punk and I love them. We have four kinds: lemon, salt & pepper, Straight 8, and Armenian. I don't want to pickle this summer. Any other ideas on how to preserve them? Can you freeze them?

We will also have corn in a few weeks and winter squash which keeps well. I'm not sure how our potatoes will turn out. We have heavy clay soil which isn't conducive to root vegetables. We shall see.

Y and I were playing with my belly tonight. We would push on my lower left side and the lil guy would kick back. He kept doing it, like he knew it was a game. Its hard to believe that we will have a baby in a few months. I have all the big stuff but now need clothes and a breast pump. Would you buy a used breast pump? I would buy new tubing and everything else that the milk touches. Haven't decided on that one yet.

I am almost done covering an extra location for work. It has been nice for commissions but has been super busy. I will just be mentoring the new hire. I have think that will be a challenge as she is a bit of a know it all. I don't know you know everything when you just start a new job but some people are amazingly smart.

Regarding my personal grocery challenge for August, I'm at $187 for the month but need to buy milk and some fruit. This might continue into next month.

How is your week looking?

11 comments:

  1. If you have an over abundance of squash....can you donate it to a food pantry? If I lived closer, I would take it off your hands! Yum.

    Glad your pregnancy is progressing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually had to pull out the squash plant tonight because it had been taken over by grasshoppers.

      Delete
  2. I had a friend give me a giant zucchini recently. As I'm the only one in the house who will eat it, I had to find something to do with it all. I blended it in the blender until it was basically a liquid and then froze it in 2 cup portions. I found a recipe for zucchini cookies I can't wait to try with it.

    Wow, I can't believe you've only spent $187 for the month. I guess having a garden can really help out with the grocery bills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My garden definitely helps out with our grocery budget this time of year. I haven't bought any fresh veggies except for lettuce since the beginning of August.

      Delete
  3. My grocery shopping is off the chain this month. Started using cash mid month, so hoping to improve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Groceries are usually my biggest budget buster.

      Delete
  4. Grate your zucchinis and squashes and freeze. You'll be grateful in winter that you did! You can add them to lasagnas, meatballs, cookies, bread, muffins etc etc. Or steam and freeze in cubes for a new baby :) No advice on cucumbers though. They are not freezable, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do still have our zucchini plant so I will need to grate and freeze for future use.

      Delete
  5. We had a ton of cucumbers and a nice crop of zucchinis. I'm still waiting on the eggplants. Your garden sounds great!

    It sounds like you are doing incredible on your grocery challenge! I will have to try that in September. August is a bust.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon, I'm a little jealous of the eggplant. I only planted one plant of it and it died. Maybe next year...

      Delete
  6. Check this website for ideas -- http://hickeryhollerfarm.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete