Monday, August 12, 2013

Hail Damage

We had a mega storm here last week with severe hail and tornadoes. Thankfully the tornadoes touched down in rural areas and nobody was hurt. The hail did damage to both my and Y's vehicles. We noticed Y's pick-up damage right away and turned in a claim. I washed my car today and noticed a few small dings. I brought it in for an estimate after work and the total is $2572. Yikes!

Here's the hard part: I don't want to get my car fixed. Its only 3 years old with 60,000 miles but its a piece of crap. Its a Mazda 6 and is falling apart. The entire underbody has been wired up because it fell off in pieces and would drag on the ground. The wheel well fell apart. The entire hood is chipping because of a bad paint job after hitting a deer when I owned it for 2 weeks. Basically its a piece of crap and I regret ever buying it. The worst part is that I'm still paying for it.

Buying this car was a stupid decision. Its not made for gravel roads and cannot stand up to our harsh winters. The two options are that we trade it in for a four wheel drive or I drive it for several more years to lessen the impact of the depreciation and poor craftmanship. Either option stinks. Getting $2000 out of my insurance for this car makes it a little sweeter but I will always be left with a sour taste in my mouth for this car.

What would you do?

14 comments:

  1. Can it even survive a few more years? Sorry about the storm!! It sucks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lena, I'm not sure. I haven't had any mechanical problems, just body problems.

      Delete
  2. Get rid of it and get something that is more durable and reliable. Sometimes you have to cut your losses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you guys are OK after that storm. As for the car damages, it totally sucks but, the damage is only on the cars so that sure is something to be thankful for.

    I agree with Mysti's comment above. You may want to get something gently used and reliable.

    Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a lemon. Can you look into the Lemon Law in your state?

    ReplyDelete
  5. If the hail storm just caused cosmetic damage and you really don't like the car, I wouldn't bother fixing it. Fixing it in my opinion is only worth it if you intend to sell it and fixing the cosmetic damage can net you a higher price or trade in value. Because it hasn't given you any mechanical problems though, I don't know if to tell you keep it for a few more years or get rid of it now. I guess the choice is yours. If something really annoys you though, I don't think saving money is worth it. The peace of mind and happiness is much more important.

    Also happy to read that the storm didn't cause any other serious damage to your home or your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cut your losses and trade it in for whatever you can for a well rated used four wheel drive, and consider it a lesson learned for your next new vehicle purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are expecting a new baby and you will need a larger ,safer car. Cut your loss and get something made for ND winters. A Subaru forestor does well here on winter mountain roads and gets good gas mileage.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry about your cars! I don't know what I would do ... it stinks that your car is so new and giving you so many problems though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've had 2 Fords and both were garbage. Money pits for sure.
    I think I would put the money from the insurance towards what I owed and then drive the piece of crap til it died. Or use it for target practice. Too bad the tornado didn't suck it up. And it isn't your fault for getting stuck with a lemon. If only we all could see the future.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How much of a commute do you have to work? I would take this into consideration as to whether to keep it or not. I drive a Camry which looks more like a war wagon at this point. BUT, it's ultra-reliable, gets excellent fuel mileage compared to most vehicles similar in size, and it's PAID FOR! At the end of the day, those are the things that are most important to me, so it stays.

    ReplyDelete
  12. “…damage to both my and Y's vehicles.” – Seeing all the damage the storm created can really frustrate everyone. But looking at the brighter side of things, the storm didn’t hit your place directly and nobody got seriously injured. Quite a relief, isn't it? How’s your car now?

    Kayla @ GeorgetownShell.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi.
    You should get in touch with your auto insurance provider to see if the hail damage repair is covered in your policy. Different insurance companies handle hail claims differently. Follow up with your agent if you do not know where to start the claim process.

    Mariz
    Hail DamageClaims San Antonio

    ReplyDelete