Sunday, August 25, 2013

Starting a New Car Fund

After my post a bit ago about my crappy car, I decided that I needed to start saving for a new to us vehicle. This might not be for me but for my husband. He drives a 2001 Ford F-150 and it has held up well but its aging. I started it this month and we have $1587 so far in it. This is where the money came from:

$200 from last paychecks
$25 from recycling aluminum cans
$1162 from hail payout for Y's pick-up
$200 from my work expense reimbursement

My car loan sits at $6600 and is 0%. It should be down to $5000 by year end. Having this car fund will give me piece of mind that we could pay that off if things get too tight with paying for daycare for two.

Speaking of daycare, I somehow missed signing up Lil Punk for preschool this year. I don't know how I missed it. She goes to a church daycare that also has a preschool and school. I will call the daycare director tomorrow to see if they can still fit her in. I plan to have her start school next year so I would like it if she was in preschool this year. She turns 5 next July so she will just make the deadline. I know I could wait to send her but I was held back due to an August birthday and I was bored in school. I easily could have went the year before.

Have you kids all done preschool? Is it absolutely necessary?

8 comments:

  1. $25.00 is pretty good for aluminum cans :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? We had the pick-up bed full. I guess its more about doing the right thing by recycling than the money.

      Delete
  2. Both of my kids started preschool a few days after their 3rd birthday. Now, they were both special ed at the time, but even if they weren't...I would have started them. I do think it is absolutely necessary....at least for 1 year, but 2 is better. They need the socialization, the structure of school, and the independence. By the time they start Kindergarten, they are old pros at it. Much easier!!!

    Don't look at it for the academics (but make sure the school does have a curriculum! And for the record, holidays are NOT a curriculum.) Preschool is really about socialization.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your input. The preschool does have a curriculum. I'm not that worried about the social aspect because her daycare is very structured like preschool. There are six or seven in her class but its ran like a little school.

      Delete
  3. No kids here, but we weren't sent to pre-school back in the day, just kinder. I do know that around here it's almost a race to see who gets into pre-school because of limited space, so not many of the kids can get in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I think kindergarten was a relatively new thing when I went. I did go to speech therapy prior to kindergarten for my extreme lisp so I had some school contact. Thank god the public school system has a great program for speech therapy because they corrected how I talked.

      Delete
  4. Both of my children went to day care. I think it helps them get a little bit ahead. But that is just my opinion and its probably worthless. ;p
    And I think it is great for you to hold the money instead of paying off the loan(I think I said pay it off). That way if anything comes, you have a reserve. So if I send you my bills will you "fix" them for me? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Different thought : By #4, we chose not to "do preschool." I taught him to read, count and add etc. at home. I just didn't see the sense in paying the $ anymore, having seen the innerworkings of this good preschool with kids 1-3. Moreover, my mother, who holds a master 's in education, sent me a peer reviewed article claiming preschool was not neccessary, in fact, in some cases counter productive.. (Neither I nor my sblings went. While all my children do well school, #4 has really excelled academically and socially. I would not send another child to preschool. I wish I had listened to my mother with kids 1-3. Honestly, I think we sent them to give ourselves a break.

    ReplyDelete