Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Stress Pays

This post came about from a conversation with my husband. Our neighbor has decided to look for a job after living on alimony and child support exclusively for five years. She cannot handle any stress and needs someone to constantly direct her. Her boyfriend needs to tell her how to care for their garden because she cannot handle the stress of making those decisions. It is my assumption that she will get a low paying job or a job that requires physical labor because she cannot handle stress. I think you either get paid for physical work, skilled labor or stress.

I have a lot of stress in my job. I have production goals every month, work on commission, am responsible for my own work, and shit hits the fan every day that needs to be dealt with in an efficient manner. My cell phone is on my business cards and rings when I have a day off. I am paid very well for the stress of my job. It is demanding and I do well with that. If it were easy, it wouldn't pay a third of what I make.

I think that if you are unwilling or unable to handle stress, you are not likely to make much money without back-breaking labor or a desired skill set.  I think that stress pays.

What do you think? Does stress equal money?

ETA: I don't meant to make it sound like I don't like my job. I love it. I like the constant challenge of getting the deal and making it work. I love dealing with people for the sales part of my job. I also like the money that comes along with it :)

13 comments:

  1. I think lack of money can lead to stress...believe me I have been stressed. But I refuse to let the stress over take my life anymore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, lack of money can lead to stress. You are also right in that stress can completely take over your life. The minute I leave work, I completely tune it out. I owe it to my family to be present, not thinking about work.

      Delete
  2. In some ways stress pays, but not in the dance business. But I do love my kids. Be grateful that you can handle stress it is what makes you successful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being a business owner is its own stress. I cannot imagine that.

      Delete
  3. Yes, I think stress pays :) When I get stressed I know I'm probably doing something important, lol. Physical labor can also be stressful, like truck drivers who are on the road for long periods at a time. Whether we are stressing our minds or our bodies, it's all work. And the harder we work the more money we get paid :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hard work is stressful and usually pays, you are right.

      Delete
  4. Like you said, people get paid for different things... experience, ability to handle stress and work on their own, hard laborious work or oversight from management. I wonder if your neighbor lacks confidence instead. People that handle stress often have good confidence they can make it through and go for the decisions they believe is right. I hope she extends her horizon and finds something at least a bit demanding... there's stress in every job, in every walks of life. Think construction is not stressful? Waitressing? Flipping burgers? There's stress on all of them. So she may have to focus on finding something 1) she's good or decent at, or could become with reasonable training and 2) she enjoys or could learn to enjoy. That makes decision making a lot easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My neighbor is definitely lacking confidence and I feel bad for her for that.

      Delete
  5. I think greater responsibility leads to greater stress, and it's the greater responsibility that pays, not the stress per se (perhaps semantics...) My job holds a great deal of responsibility, and sometimes that means that I have a lot of stress, because the decisions I make are potentially life altering for my patients/their families. If I never had to make those decisions, I could just practice without a license, have a lot less stress, and get paid a lot less.

    I think Tanner's point helps to illustrate this. Many jobs are stressful because they are low in control, high in expectation (i.e., food service-you have little say over how your workload flows, and depend on many other factors to ensure that things go smoothly, and yet you are held to high account by each customer and lose tips if things don't go as planned). Even though these jobs can be highly stressful, they certainly aren't well remunerated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Responsibility does come with a higher price tag.

      Delete
  6. There are days when I would gladly trade the stress of my current job to go back to unloading trucks at Target. That was physically stressful, but mentally easy. I was getting paid to work out for 8 hours a day! And I LOVED it when they told me to go get carts. I could run around the parking lot, gather nice, neat stacks of carts, and either push them in 10 at a time or use the little remote controlled pusher. I just wish it paid as much as my current job ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam, I hear you. I miss waiting tables and bartending.

      Delete
  7. I worked in sales for years. You are so right. I loved it when I was in it and now I don't know if I could handle it or not. I went soft. LOL
    I'm good with organization and multi-tasking but I'm not sure what I want to be when I grow up.
    I'm glad that you have a job that you love and are right on the money with the stress.

    ReplyDelete