Sunday, September 15, 2013

Lawnmower Update

We did buy the lawnmower that was on clearance. With tax, it came to $3780. It is still in its original package sitting on the trailer. We have two months to change our mind. I don't think that's going to happen because I have a plan to pay it off by the first of the year.

Between my larger than usual commission checks this month and last month, I was able to pay extra on the tractor. We now owe $7500 on it. I plan to pay $2500 each month through the end of the year to pay it off. Our savings is sitting at $10,000 and (hopefully) will stay that way, barring an emergency. We will use our remaining daycare flex money to pay for the lawnmower. I have only turned in one claim in March for daycare flex so we still have $3750 remaining.

I just need to work really hard to make sure my checks are large enough to pay $2500 per month to the tractor. I should be able to do that. I need to make sure that I have enough in November before I have my baby to get a good commission check in December.

It is pushing things financially to buy the lawnmower now instead of the spring but we saved over $500. Do you think it was a silly decision?

6 comments:

  1. I probably wouldn't have done it, but I'm in a different place and frame of mind right now ... I'm in a "don't spend a cent you don't have to" mode b/c I'm facing uncertainty like I've never known.

    Does it seem silly that you made the purchase? No, not at all. You have a reasonable plan in place and the cash in your savings account to back it up. Part of the reason that the rich get richer because they have the cash to snap up bargains when they see them ... right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't. You seem like you have your crap together, so to speak :) You have savings and a plan for all the things that you buy. Most people don't even have a plan, let alone savings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If what you will save by buying this ahead at a bargain price and have the room to store it til needed is MORE than what letting that $ sit in an account or CD somewhere and you don't see a financial downturn or layover in your immediate future then you made the correct decision.
    It might not seem like it now when you look at your accounts but it will come next Spring. 8-)
    Maybe you can additionally think about making some money with the tractor by having hubs hire out and do some Spring tilling with it for people(much like people do the snowplowing thing in the winter to pick up spare cash). Just a thought....

    ReplyDelete
  4. No but you need to add have a baby somewhere on that list before spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should write a separate post about my plans to pay for everything baby related. I have a pretty good game plan.

      Delete
  5. It seems like a great decision barring you don't overwork yourself, especially with the baby coming. Just don't feel pressured to have to pay off everything and run your health to the ground. Try to stay as stress free and pressure free as possible. You are a great planner so everything will work out well.

    ReplyDelete