Sunday, September 8, 2013

We bought our rotary tiller on 8/18 for $1780 plus tax. When we sold the motorcycle, we put away the money for the tiller. We had been watching the weekly ads for it to go on sale. The 4, 5, and 7 foot tillers were going on sale but not the 6 foot one we wanted. Yesterday when I opened the paper, it was on sale for $1700. Y called the store we bought it at and they said it was outside of the two week window so they couldn't give us the refund and we couldn't exchange it and rebuy it because it wasn't in its original package. The receipt clearly said it was good for returns through 10/17.

I wasn't satisfied with this answer because it didn't say anything about having the original package to return it and we were just going to buy it again. I called a different store that is equal distance away. After being transferred twice and speaking with three different people, they agreed to the refund and we just had to bring in the receipt. Our refund ended up being $88 and change.

Here's the bad part about our little trip there. We saw the exact lawnmower that Y wants on clearance. It is a zero turn mower with a 54" deck. It is normally $4000 but was on clearance for $3500. We were planning on buying it next spring if our finances permitted. Even if we had to pay interest on our line of credit to next spring, it would be around $70.

Do we buy the lawnmower or pass on it? $500 is a good savings but we should probably build up our savings account instead.

11 comments:

  1. Would you save more buying it NOW in or in the spring? Its "end of season" so odds are, you'll pay more in the spring. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We would save money but I don't want to stretch ourselves too thin.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Lena, as hard as it is for me to say on a PF blog, my husband is against buying any used implement. Used cars, yes, tractors and lawnmowers, no.

      Delete
  3. Do you need it now? Have you been watching the sales prices for this? There will probably be sales in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't really need it till spring but its on clearance now for end of the year.

      Delete
  4. I'd probably get it. I'm a sucker for a really good deal. I also find that sometimes when you put things off too long you end up in a pickle and have to buy the item for full price. Granted, I'm probably not one to talk right now considering my own thin finances. Yeah, I'd still buy it. Maybe you can sell the current mower in the spring to offset the expense?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are leaning towards getting it at this point.

      Delete
  5. I think I would just stick to your original plan - you will probably feel better about the purchase if you wait until spring. Mowing season is almost over and you have the new little one on the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't want to deplete our savings for this.

      Delete
  6. I hate to see a good deal pass me by but I think I would wait to see if we couldn't get some more money in the bank first.

    ReplyDelete