Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Mandatory Mental Health Coverage

Anybody who has read my blog for a little while knows that I'm not a fan of Obamacare. I do not like being told that I have to do something for my own good. However, I do see some positive in the mandate that we all have health insurance and not just any health insurance but insurance that covers specific things.

An area that I feel often goes undiagnosed and/or untreated is mental health and substance abuse. I see it as a huge win/win that we will all have access to mental health professionals. Depression and other mental illnesses are on the rise. For far too long, mental illness has been pushed under the rug. I don't think everyone can be helped with therapy but its certainly not going to hurt.

Substance abuse is another area of expansion of insurance under Obamacare. Substance abuse will take a thriving member of society and turn them into unproductive people. I don't fully understand why one chooses to continue to use when its obviously ruining their life but my bff is an addiction counselor. She has helped me understand what an illness substance abuse truly is.

I hope that going forward those in the mental health profession educate the general population on the options they will have with their new insurance, whether this is done through advertising or referrals.

Thoughts? Do you think this added coverage will really matter?

4 comments:

  1. I have a friend in the U.S. who has explained the new Obamacare to me, and needless to say, she is less than impressed with it. Doesn'nt sound like a "solution" to me at all. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coming from a family riddled with both problems I think it is important. Most policies today do not cover these issues or cover very little and they are severe problems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Living in a country where all of these things are covered at no cost to me (except from the exorbitant taxes I pay:) I can't imagine it being otherwise and feel sad that everyone doesn't have equal access to the help and services that they need.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see mental health being equally as important as physical health. No one would want a person with cancer to be without treatment available, but I see depression or other severe mental health issues being just as deadly if left untreated. Having dealt with serious depression before, it comes with a lot of physical symptoms too. Treating the root cause of the issue finally helped me feel better in every way.

    Honestly, the more I learn about the actual plan the more I am in support of it. Maybe not the way it was implemented, and there will be heartburn with change, but I can't stand the thought of someone needing to take out a loan for surgeries they need, or being dropped/denied coverage just because they had been sick in the past. My sister had cancer as a child and was previously able to be denied coverage now because of it. Thankfully she has been able to remain covered through her employer, but now she doesn't have to worry about what will happen if she loses her job.

    ReplyDelete