Sunday, December 29, 2013

December 2013 Wrap Up

Even though there are 2 days left of the month, I'm calling it a wrap. It's very chilly here today, 25 below with the windchill, so we are not going anywhere today. Tomorrow I have to bring my car in to get a rock chip repaired in my windshield. My insurance will cover it if its repairable. I also have to run to my work to renew my work license before the end of the year.

I tracked all spending for December. I took our Christmas spending out as that is already budgeted for and medical spending as I'm waiting in a reimbursement from our flex medical account. Instead of looking at all the separate categories, I wanted to look at the big picture. Our new budget allows for $1580 for all variable spending. We spent $1402 this month for food, gas, eating out, entertainment, baby stuff, household needs, etc. I'm happy that we came in under budget but it has only happened with constant vigilance and careful planning. Y has been on board but I can tell that he's already getting bored.

The weather has been exceptionally cold here for so early. 25 and 30 below isn't uncommon here but those are usually January or February temps, not December ones. We will have to fill up on propane shortly. I will try to wait at least another couple weeks so we make it through the rest of the winter.

For good news, I'm currently playing for first in my fantasy football league. If I get second place, I get $30 but first is worth $50. I'm not sure what I will do with the money.

I am taking place in Carla's No/Low Spend January. There are a couple exceptions that I am going to allow myself. I have a bachelorette party and I will be ready to have a couple drinks. I will also buy tax software because I will be doing our taxes this year. I will also need to buy a few things for the baby for when I go back to work like bottles. I do consider those necessities though. I'm hoping that I get the last of our medical bills in January so I can take care of those.

How cold is it where you're at? Anybody else hibernating?




12 comments:

  1. I was thinking the same about our weather. It's been in 20-30s for the past two months, and I'm already ready or spring! Last year it didn't even snow until two days before Christmas.

    Nice job staying under budget!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lena! Anytime we can stay under budget, its good.

      Delete
  2. It's been pretty mild here.... think it was -2c today... not bad! :) Glad you're joining in my challenge, i'm soo ready to start!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is just what we need for January.

      Delete
  3. We are north of Chicago and it is cold! Yuck.
    I'm planning on tightening the reins on our spending for 2014 so we shall see what happens. It's always an adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. At first I was like what!? 25 below? That's ridiculously cold. But then I realized that you probably mean Fahrenheit ;) So I went to convert it expecting a more moderate number in Celsius because I can better relate to that. However, as it turns out -25° F is like -32° C (o.O) That's crazy cold. It's a balmy 40° F in Vancouver, Canada so I can't even imagine what the weather is like outside your home. Good luck with your FF league :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I meant Fahrenheit. Its just cold. I guess the Canadian city that would be equivalent or a little colder would be Winnipeg. I ended up winning by Fantasy Football league:). The guys at work will get a bit of a hard time when I get back to work. Haha!

      Delete
  5. Oh I remember those cold winters, I have hot been able to tell you I loved the pictures of the babes. Thank you! .Go cuddle with those two cuties and you will be warm. I am warm in my heart thinking about those cute little faces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim! I think they're so cute but they're my babies!

      Delete
  6. TOTALLY hibernating here (its helping with the no spends). It's 18 degrees F, not factoring in wind chill. The one nice thing about the cold: my doggies come right on in when they're done with their business : )

    Good job with December!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hibernating here too - it's -10c plus windchill - I was out earlier and my nostrils stuck together so that's pretty cold lol! You did well to come in under budget, especially for December. I understand the boredom aspect and have to fight against it. I may join Carla's challenge also - I'm short in my savings and could use a challenge to beef up that area.

    ReplyDelete