Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Holiday Commercials

I tend to get annoyed this time of year when I'm watching TV commercials. According to these commercials, my life would be splendid if my husband bought me diamonds or jewelry for Christmas. My kids would be perfectly behaved if I dressed them in perfect little outfits, gave them huge toys, and took them to a photo shoot where we dressed up as a British family drinking tea (WTH!).

The reality is that since we got married, my husband's gifts are on the very practical side. I think he will get me snowpants this year and he is giving me new black boots (that I ordered). I won't be getting diamonds but I will use my snowpants to play outside for many years to come with our kids.

The photo shoot this year consisted of both kids laying on the floor. The baby slept and Lil Punk made funny faces. There was no tea involved.

I just get so annoyed with the things that are pushed as happiness on TV. The commercials are so good though that sometimes I need to consciously remind myself of this.

Do these commercials annoy anybody else?

7 comments:

  1. The one that bugs me the most is the Lexus car commercial.. grrrrrrr really!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I'm with Rhitter......the car ads with a big expensive vehicle tied with a big red bow on the roof are the MOST annoying.
    Seriously, does anyone know anyone who ever got a new fancy car for Christmas? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That one annoys my 16 year old as well :-)

      Delete
  3. I wish I had time to watch those annoying commercials. My dream is to have my husband buy me a diamond I don't know about. Yeah like that is going to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am SOOOO with you. They drive me crazy! I'm having a very difficult time stomaching all the cell phone commercials too. Everyone is living life through their phones on all of these commercials (which I know is normal to most people now) but that should NOT be normal! I can't stand it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Part of the reason I got rid of cable TV. Michael and I are giving each other new flooring for Christmas woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd actually be mad if DH gave me a diamond for Christmas! We don't have the money for that kind of extravagance, as I'm heading onto mat leave! And I'm not a jewelry person really, and he knows that. I think these ads point out that marketers are desperate to make us feel "less than" even more at Christmas than the rest of the year, because they can prey on people's insecurities and get them to spend more money that doesn't actually solve the situation in any respect.

    ReplyDelete