Tuesday, December 31, 2013

So I Messed Up...

So I messed up in a good way. I incorrectly calculated my earnings while I'm on maternity leave. My comp plan is fairly complex. I have a base and/or commission. I had assumed that I would only get my commissions that were over and above what my regular pay would be. I was wrong. I get all of my commissions plus short term disability pay. My paycheck today was $1500 more than I had expected. I transferred $1200 into our savings.

The other $300 is going to pay for a new windshield for my car. I went to get it repaired yesterday and just as I turned my car off at the glass repair shop, the rock chip turned into a crack. Sigh...

 I called and talked to the daycare director today. For January, daycare for both kids is $750 as I'm going back to work on the 13th. I had calculated $850 for this month. It will be $1025 regularly which is more than our mortgage payment.  They are so worth it.

Happy New Year to all my blogging friends! I hope 2014 brings you much happiness!

11 comments:

  1. It seems like your maternity leave passed so quickly, so I can only imagine how the time has passed for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic surprise! Happy 2014. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great news! :) Can't believe you're already back to work... wow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you!! And I cant believe you are back to work either!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That wasn't a very long mat leave, was it? But what a great surprise with the paycheque. Terrific way to start the new year! Happy New Year to you and yours. All the best xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do that sort of mistake fairly often, and it is such a welcomed surprise! Happy New Year's to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty sweet mess up! LOL! Happy New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Usually my errors don't leave me with MORE money so woo hoo for you! What a pleasant surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope that 2014 is better for us. It was a crazy year.
    It isn't often that we make a good mistake!!! I'm so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not a bad error at all ;)

    Man, that mat leave went by fast! I'm not looking forward to those daycare costs when the time comes :(

    Happy New Year to you and your family, all the best in 2014! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm on year 21 3/4 of maternity leave. I am now looking to get back to work. It's quite intimidating..

    ReplyDelete