Thursday, December 5, 2013

Well Update: Yikes!!

We received the invoice for the our new well that I had been anxiously awaiting. It was for more than I wanted. It came in at $6109 for the well plus $900 for sealing the old well. We qualify for a coop with our county for the well sealing. I believe the county pays for 60% of the well sealing. We need to submit the final paperwork but its already been approved.

The quote for the well was between 5 and 6 thousand. We had them replace our outdoor water hydrant which we knew was additional, between $200-250. I didn't know that the well sealing wasn't included in the original quote but Y did. I guess this is an example of miscommunication between us.

Y is going to call them to see of they will give us a cash discount. We have $4500 in our regular savings and the remainder will come from our new car fund. 

I'm so disappointed in how much this invoice is because I was going to raid our new car fund to pay off my car loan. We still owe $5000 on my car and the new car fund is/was at $4550. We talked it over and even though my car is at 0% interest rate, we wouldn't take out a new car loan with your that out there anyway. If Y's pick-up dies and we need to finance a new (to us) one, we would pay off my car because we don't want to afford two car payments at one time. I have been very, very nervous about paying $1060 per month for daycare, so I wanted to pay off my car this year to lighten the burden.

Such is life...

9 comments:

  1. ouch! :( I hope you're able to get that cash discount... good lucK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this is a great frustration when you work so hard on a plan and it sinks (in a bad well) But, "ya, gots t' hab water." it is done now, and it will probably not bother you again in your life time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I didn't want to do the well but my husband said we didn't have a choice. Just when does it stop? Also, Kim I need your email address so I can send you pics of my new little guy.

      Delete
  3. Yikes, I'm sorry! I hope, you can negotiate a discount for paying right away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh, I"m sorry. We are also dealing with a huge unexpected expense today (just found out the my oldest son needs oral surgery with anasthesia.) I can't imagine how much it's goign to be. *shivers*.

    Sending good thoughts that they will give you a cash discount!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a big chunk of cash for sure! I hate when bills come in over and above what you thought it'd be. Our renos are not cooperating and I am paying way more than I had budgeted for. Stink!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Life can sure throw you curve balls. I think that you are doing the best that can with this situation. I just try to make the best decisions at the moment and hope that I don't screw up any future situations.

    ReplyDelete