Wednesday, January 29, 2014

January Low Spend Wrap Up

I'm calling it a month budget-wise. I would normally wait until the 31st when we get paid to close out the month but I need to do next weeks shopping tomorrow because my sister is flying in from New York on Friday. She knows I will throw a super awesome Super Bowl party and she hasn't met Baby G yet. I'm so excited to have her here.

For groceries, we spent $525 for the month. I'm going to have a separate baby category going forward. I do consider this month a success.

For our other spending, excluding gas, we spent around $400. This does exclude Y's personal spending. We spent around $75 on eating out, $20 on gifts, and the other $305 was spent on supplies to finish the basement and other miscellaneous things like a birth certificate. We did stock up on laundry detergent, dishwasher tabs and toilet paper when we were at Menards.

Our gas budget is $500 and we only spent $275. Woohoo!

One of my goals for this month was to have $3000 in our regular savings. We have $3400 as of today but I'm still expecting one last medical bill for around $400.

Y's spending--I'm not sure if I should just give him an allowance or what. He spent $283. Thus includes beer, smokes, energy drinks, snacks for him and Lil Punk, and who knows what else. Oh, I think he also had to buy something for our water heater, too. How do you all account for your significant other's spending?

8 comments:

  1. Wow, great job on the gas expenses! That's awesome. And meeting that savings goal as well. Hope you have a lot of fun at the SB party! I had almost forgotten that's this weekend. I should do something for it... or at least buy some food with the specials that come with it. I don't have a significant other, but I've seen people create a "X spending money" and "Y spending money". Same as you would handle the grocery or gas budgets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Things like Beer, snacks, drinks would come out of our grocery budget. He really doesn't go out. But we have $10 per paycheck that goes into his "boat" account...which is really his hobby account.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have personal spending amounts - $40/week for each of us. I use the debit card for mine and withdraw cash for the month for DH. This is for lunches, snacks, energy drinks while out running or doing stuff with his friends. Gas, materials for house projects, groceries, etc. go on the credit card. That said, he does not really spend much of his cash. At then end of December there was $1180 in the safe. I left $160 for January and deposited the rest into our savings account.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you had a good month! :) We only have "personal spending" if there's extra money... if there's none in the budget, we don't do it. Thankfully hubby has no bad habits, so when we do have extra money, we just split it. An "allowance" may keep your hubbys spending easier for you to track that way instead of waiting to see what he spends on whatnot...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mr. R and I each have a personal spending budget. We each get cash every payday and need to make it last. Mr. R can spend like crazy. He likes to eat out a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I give DH cash, usually $20 week. He doesn't make many mini mart stops, but it seems like he's always wheeling and dealing with guys at work about something. I really don't care, I just wish he'd use the cash for the $2ish purchases he makes so I don't have to look at them on the register. He doesn't chew, but he often uses his debit card to pick up chewing tobacco from the nearby smoke shop for a guy at work and the guy reimburses him in cash. I never see this cash, fyi! He squirrels most of his money away for bigger purchases like motorcycle accessories, guns, ammo, and musical instruments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't even get me started on the guns and ammo. We are very well stocked here. So annoying!

      Delete
  7. We split everything 50/50, so if we pay for groceries at $300 a month, he pays $150 and I pay $150. Anything he wants to buy for himself, he buys out of his own account.. This is the best way for us because we have our own fun money and we also share the bills equally. NO fights, no resentment...

    ReplyDelete