Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Carpooling

Today is the first day that Y and I have carpooled for the sake of saving money. We have previously done it because of the roads. We live 10 miles from his work and 12 from mine. I figured out that we can save roughly 60 bucks a month by carpooling.

While this may seem like a no brainer, its a total pain. I have to have the car because I go feed Baby G at lunch. Y does have to stay late every once in awhile if they have an emergency. Its also just a hassle to pick up and drop off.

I came up with this plan to save money because it seems like Y is having trouble cutting back. We've been very poor before so I know he can do it. He seems to not really value just not spending. I don't want to nag at him so I came up with this idea. We will see how long it lasts. Maybe I'm just super practical? Or a little sadistic?? Hehe

5 comments:

  1. I think carpooling is a great idea... and waiting a bit longer (or a lot longer) can get old, but sometimes, you just have no choice. Well, at least I didn't! Me and my brother were driving to school at 7am bright and early because he'd have early classes while mine didn't start until 11am, but then we'd have to stay til 8pm because I had a class at that time, while he's been done since 5pm. Patience is a hard lesson to learn, but much easier to get along with when you have no choice. Could you consider a different arrangement? IE, leaving your car at your work M-F and having him pick you up or drop you off? It's something to think about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm...this is a good idea and would maybe work in the summer. We would want to drive my car as it gets way better gas mileage but we need to have his pick-up at home in case of inclement weather. There is no way of knowing when we will get bad weather and I wouldn't be comfortable being at home in the winter with 2 little kids without a four wheel drive.

      Delete
  2. I can see how it can be a total pain, but maybe after a month of this you can start using it as a negotiating point. "we can stop carpooling if we cut our spending on [something you think is a waste] by $100" or something like that =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's a good idea as well and as Mrs PoP says, you can use it to negotiate: You hate this so much? We have to cut back elsewhere then.

    ReplyDelete